How to authenticate against an SL Server?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by HyperX13, Jun 23, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

I just got a new mac mini with OSX server. I was initially going to just wipe the server software and install SL. However, playing with the server, I like it! I do have one question. How does my mac client (macbook, imac, etc) authenticate against a mac server? What do I do in the client to tell it that the mac server is the authenticating server? I come from a windows world, where you create a domain and then the client joins it. I am aware this is not how the mac does it, but I am not aware how.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BTW I believe I have my open directory setup correctly.

2. macrumors 601

It is similar. Go to Accounts and then click the Join button in the bottom right. I believe you can then use any of the accounts defined in the SL Server to authenticate.

I worked on this for awhile in order to setup a Software Update Service, but it was a pain and didn't work the way I wanted it to. For example, it kept downloading really old updates and my client would never see anything new.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup! Under login options!! this is great!! Thanks much!!

4. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4069

5. macrumors 601