How to automatically mute or stop iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gary King, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Gary King macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    How can I have iTunes either automatically mute or stop iTunes after a certain period of computer inactivity? I have Smart Mute on PC, but nothing on the Mac.
  2. zach macrumors 65816

Feb 14, 2003
    best bet would be to either google such a thing (i'm assuming you already have, but i'll put it here anyway), or if all else fails, write your own applescript. should be rather easy.
  3. GodBless macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2005
    Yeah AppleScripts are good solutions. My favorite Apple Script lets you listen to a list of iTunes Music Store tracks without having to manually select and play each track. It automatically plays one after another with a two second delay in-between each track in case streaming is necessary. I made this AppleScript all by myself in fact this is the only Application I've ever programmed. (Although I do want to pursue programming in the future a bit primarily as a hobby.)

Here is the AppleScript. Feel free to download it, use it and give it to anyone you want for free. It works great.

Edit: In fact I might make a thread about this AppleScript and maybe that tread can help you (Gary King) too since it will probably be focused on AppleScripts.

Attached Files:

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Easiest way is to just set it to play a finite playlist without enabling the repeat. iTunes will then play through the list and stop... :)
  5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    what about putting the computer to sleep.....