How to automatically play DVDs with VLC?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by pusman83, Jun 21, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

I found a script to do so, but I get an error message about audio tracks every time.

tell application "VLC"
    activate
    OpenURL "dvdnav:///dev/rdisk1"
    play
    next
    fullscreen
    end tell

Anyone know of a sure-fire way to have inserted DVDs automatically play in VLC?

2. macrumors 6502

Go to System Preferences --> CDs & DVDs and choose VLC instead of DVD Player. I think that was in Tiger too, but I know it's in Leopard.

I had to do that for a while since DVD player crashed Leopard on my 12" powerbook until 10.5.3

3. macrumors newbie

More surefire applescript

A lot of times people have issues with this type of script because attaching/removing external disks, or optical drives can change the rdisk number associated with the DVD drive. Enable UI scripting, then use this applescript as the default to open DVDs:

tell application "VLC"
    activate
    end tell
    tell application "System Events"
    key down command
    keystroke "d"
    key up command
    delay 3
    keystroke return
    tell application "VLC"
    play
    fullscreen
    end tell
    end tell

If your drive can deal with the region, then any DVD you insert will go straight to the menu in fullscreen mode. If your system is faster than my G4, you can reduce or remove the 'delay 3'

peter

4. macrumors newbie

It still works and im using mountain lion now :)

5. macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

I am stuck with VLC as each time I insert a CD/DVD, it opens the programme but nothing more.
    It shows the Main Window, but then to play the Disc I have to do Open Disc/Open.
    Very, very boring.

Any ideas to make it to play the disc automatically??

Thanks a lot
    :):):):)