How to back-up DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Steven Jackson, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

Hi,

I've been reading a few recent threads on DVD burning, but I'm still a bit confused. Assuming I have a mac that can burn dual-layer DVDs and assuming that I have a nice big pile of blank dual layer discs, what's the best (easiest) way to back-up my movie DVDs without losing anything. I want exact copies -- menus, extra features, subtitles, languages, etc. An exact carbon copy at exactly the same quality as the original...

Oh, and I want to install as few applications as possible. Is it possible to do this without installing anything -- just using OS X, I mean?

Steve.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

sorry OSX can't do the Job, U need at least two apps (the method i described below need 3, coz this is the only way I tested)

1. mac the ripper, to rip DVD to disk as a movie folder
    2. DVD imager to pack the movie folder into a *.iso file
    3. Simplyburns to burn the *.iso to a DVD

Note, I didn't mention anything about possibility of *.iso file's size exceed 4.7G.
    also, steps 2 and 3 might be done by one single app called Burn, which I haven't tested.

Also, I only introduce freewares, there should be $$$ apps can do the job, but thats beyond my knowledge.

PS, this is one thing Windows Platform is better at, a DVDShrink (freeware) can do the rip+compress+burn altogether, hoping some one will develop a similar stuff for mac.

3. munchmime macrumors member

Mac the ripper

Use mac the ripper to rip the DVD,
    then you can use Toast or Dvd2oneX to burn them - both can compress the movie, or keep it full size.

I have also found that if you take the DVD folder that mac the ripper makes, and you place that in a burn folder, it will burn a playable dvd, but CAN NOT compress the movie.

Least amount of software? mac the ripper- then make a burn folder, or a disc image, and burn that. Make sure one works with your dvd player before you make any extra's.

Best bet for copies, Mac the Ripper, and then Toast, Popcorn, or Dvd2oneX to burn them.