How to back up huge files on DVD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by isaacc7, Nov 13, 2005.

1. isaacc7 macrumors regular

OK, maybe a basic question, but I'm having some trouble. In essence, I would like to back up a 45 GB group of files onto DVD. This is a music collection and I'd rather not have to select the songs one by one in order to fit certain groups onto the DVDs. Is there a way to burn DVDs using Tiger that can figure out disk spanning? BTW, if it matters, I would like these DVDs to be read by a windows machine eventually if that matters. I appreciated the help stripping the files out of the folders (the automater actions worked like a charm). Thanks for any info you could throw my way:)

Isaac

2. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Roxio's Toast 7 features automatic file spanning. It's a wonderful software, I believe it's the most popular disc burning solution on the Mac. You can also burn DivX discs in version 7.

llama :)

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Of course, why you'd want to make DiVX discs out of your music is beyond me :confused:

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

That will take approx 10 DVDs or 5 Double Layer DVDs, another option is a external harddrive, this way ou could update you music collection as you go.

5. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Because I have a DivX DVD player hooked up to my TV, and it's pretty cool to have 5 great quality movies on one DVD. ;)

llama

6. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Yes, I would go with an external harddrive, way easier, just add as you go...

llama

7. isaacc7 thread starter macrumors regular

DVDs are cheap...

Yes, I could back up to an external hard drive, is there a way to do that such that both Mac and Windows machines can use it? The other computer is several states away, so I thought the DVDs would be a better option. I was really hoping that Tiger would have a way of spanning DVDs, guess I'm out of luck... Looks like it would about the same price to buy Toast 7 or a new external hard drive, so if the hard drive could be made to work with both machines, I'd probably do that.

Isaac

8. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Yep just make sure the drive is formatted in fat-32 (ms dos). This can be read by Windows and Mac.

9. isaacc7 thread starter macrumors regular

Really? That's awsome! So I guess I just use disk utility to format it as fat32 and then transfer everything over, right? I'll order the drive tomorrow!

Isaac

10. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

Yup, thats what I have going. Fat-32 is called ms-dos under disk utility as DeSnousa said.

11. isaacc7 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

OK, thanks again! I've been eyeing another drive anyway, this is the perfect excuse:)

Isaac

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I wasn't even talking to you. ;)