How to backup my Mac?...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sambront, Jan 31, 2005.

1. sambront macrumors newbie

Hello. I recently added a Mac mini to my network. One of the things that I am missing from the Windows world is a way to backup my data. This is what I currently do on my Windows machine, and I'd like a way to do it on the Mac.

1. Backup my data using NTBackup to an external HDD. This creates a backup image, and the files inside the image are then verified against the original copies.

2. Copy the files to DVD using RecordNow, which burns to DVD and then verifies each file on the completed DVD against the original copies.

This way I have a HDD backup I keep at my apartment, and a DVD backup I keep at another location, and I am sure that both are valid backups.

Is there a way to do this on the Mac? I have to have a way to verify that the backup on the external drive and the DVD? What is the best way to do this? Does creating a disk image verify the .iso after it is created? Does it verify the CD/DVD once it is burned?

Another option is TAR, but I would rather stay in the GUI, and away from the terminal.

How does everybody else backup their data, and make sure it's a valid backup?

Thanks.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I make a bootable clone of my hard drive using SuperDuper!

Carbon Clone Copier acts very similarly but I like the 'idiot-proof' walk through that SuperDuper offers. It creates the back up and then allows you to reboot using the new back up so that you can check all is OK.