How to backup PART of iTunes library...?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheFlash, Dec 26, 2006.

1. TheFlash macrumors newbie

Dec 26, 2006
    I record a daily radio show, and now that 2006 is ending, I want to move those files to a different iTunes library, so it is not taking up the 30+ Gb in my main library. However, the only option I see is Backup to Disc... Can anyone tell me how I would move these files to a new library?
  2. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Jan 29, 2006
    You can hold option while booting up iTunes then create a second library there. Then just delete the songs from your old library (without deleting the actual files) and redrag them into the new one. Is that what you're looking to do?
  3. TheFlash thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 26, 2006
    Hmm...not quite.

OK, so I have a playlist of the radio shows from 2006. Some of the recordings I want to keep (let's call it "Best of"). The rest I want to dump in a second playlist to reference them later. So I have a Smart Playlist that filters out the "Best of" (which is in the Genre field). I want to physically move the remaining recordings to a separate library.

I was thinking that I could use "Export..." to export the playlist as an XML file, then import it into the new library on the separate drive. Once imported into the new library, would I then delete the files from the "master" library?