Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snagitseven

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Sorry in advance if this is the wrong forum...

I have a Mac G4 running 10.4.8 configured with three hard drives, #1-Startup w/system, apps, etc., #2-Docs, iTunes music files and #3-Photos. I also have a Firewire 800/USB 2.0 external HD I use for backup Superduper clones of all three drives on three partitions.

I'm getting a new MP w/500GB as ordered and 1 500GB Seagate SATA 500GB 7200.11 and 1 7200.11 1TB for Time Machine. I will aslo want to dedicate a non-boot HD (or partition) for scratch files for CS3.

1. What's the best way to move all my orig settings/files/mail.app/iCal/Firefox/CS3/etc. to the three new drives using 10.5? (I know the Docs and Photos are easy).
2. Should I use the external Firewire HD and migrate in some fashiom?
3. As I'm also moving from Tiger to Leopard, how would I get all my settings and data to the new MP Leopard boot drive?
4. Finally, should I use the orig 500GB HD for CS3 scratch or use the 1TB for that and Time Machine on 2 partitions?

I realize I should probably use the aftermarket 500GB Seagate drive as a startup but all the system files will be on the drive supplied by Apple which may not be as fast as the Seagate.

My confusion is how to process updating all my current settings from my old G4 to the new MP and reset the new drive to be the boot HD with the settings/system files.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.