How to break someone's iPod:

Discussion in 'iPod' started by TheMonarch, Feb 21, 2006.

1. macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Step 1: Put it on top of your 230 watt subwoofer...

DSC03642.JPG
    DSC03643.JPG

Step 2: :(

This isn't my iPod, but a family member's. I don't know who put it there, but its sorta my fault, since I tried to hide the sub under that little table and I didn't tell my family that:

Subwoofer= giant magnet = Electronics death

The iPod is now dead, with a sad faced icon :(

*Sigh*

2. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats sad. well time for an upgrade....nice sub, how much time that glass drop off the table with the sub blasting?

Bless

3. macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

so would a sub effect a tv set?

or how about an Xbox 360

i dont know why i never thought of this but its under the TV table....

4. macrumors regular

jkelly888

sucks about the ipod. but thanx for the warning even if it was unintentional

5. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Any electronic device can receive some adverse effects from a giant magnet (As found a sub), but hard drives are what you need to watch out for in particular. Try keeping your sub at least 3 feet away from anything important.

6. macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

could the sub cause some discoloration in a television?

7. macrumors member

penguinman

yep, magnets affect the vaccuum in tv sets.. or the electrons.. i dont know the technical stuff, but magnets (found in all speakers) discolor tv sets and monitors

8. macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

ehhh no wonder.... thanks

now back to that iPod...

9. macrumors 68000

atari1356

You can't even reformat/restore it after that?

There have been a couple of times when I've had to gently remind my wife not to set the digital camera/computer equipment near my guitar amp. Luckily nothing has happened yet.

10. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK, for all you whippersnappers, listen up. A CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) as found in most TVs (other than plasmas, LCDs and LCD/DLT projection units) and in tube-style computer monitors (that's what your dad used, son, before there were LCDs) consists of an electron gun, a deflection yoke, a mask or grille, and a phosphor target (the inside of the display glass). The gun shoots electrons toward the target, the deflection yoke (electromagnets) aim the beam of electons by bending it with magnetic deflection, the electrons are masked by the shadow mask (or wire grid, in a Trinitron design) to break them up into discrete pixels, in patterns of red, green and blue circles or stripes. The phosphors on the target glow when hit by the beam.

The deflection yoke scans the electron beam down the screen in a zigzag pattern very rapidly, as the gun fires at the appropriate time for each pixel that is wanted to be lit.

Since magnets are used to aim the electons, what is happening when you bring a powerful magnet near a CRT is that the magnetic field deflects the electron beam in its path to the phosphors: this causes colour change, or fringed patterns of colours on the screen 'coz the electrons are now hitting the wrong pixels.

LCDs are not affected because they use direct transistor control over each pixel on the screen, so they don't rely on magnetic aiming and focussing of a beam.

If you leave a magnet near a CRT too long, the shadow mask can become permanently magnetized itself, and persist in distorting the picture after you have taken away the magnet -- you've seen a "de-gaussing" button or menu control on monitors? That is a de-magnetizing procedure that removes the effects of redsidual magnetization of the internal components. Plus it makes a cool noise and light show whgen you press it. ;)

11. macrumors 68000

echeck

Definitely the best part. :D

I know all about the adverse effects of magnets and whatnot, but I've had my 5G ipod in a dock on top of my subwoofer many, many times (hooked up to the TV) with nothing happening. I know I'm playing with fire, and eventually I'll get burned, but so far I've had no problems.

My sub is right next to my TV as well, which I really need to move because I have noticed some discoloration of late. Hmmm... where to move it to...??

Now, back to the iPod. Is this something that Apple can restore for you if it's still under warranty or if you have AppleCare? It's just a software restore that I would think any Apple Store could take care of?

12. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i have this jbl encounter speaker set, which is said to be designed to use with the iPod. it has a sub. does it mean, placing the iPod with the dock would ruin the iPod.

the last week told me to listen to more people in the know.

13. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It depends how powerful thge magnet is in the speaker, whether the speaker is magnetically shielded (many speakers intended for use with computers are) and how far the iPod is from the speaker. Magnetism follows the inverse square rule - move it 2 x further away, and the power of the magnetism is 4 x less. 3 times further, it is 9 x less.

The JBL almost certainly is shielded and has a relatively puny magnet.

14. thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Nope. The iPod is dead. I can't even reformat the thing, my Mac sees nothing, and its out of warranty.

RIP: 20GB 4G B/W HP iPod :(

Man, that sub screwed it up pretty bad too, instead of the commonly heard clicking, its a screetchy whining noise... Sounds like its in pain:(

And to think, what if it was my PowerBook that ended up on that table? :eek:

15. macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

yup ... the electrons. Can't really affect vacuum because its nothing really :)

Magnets will affect unshielded CRTs. LCD, DLPs are unaffected.

[edit] CanadaRAM has the details. I didn't read enough.

Also I doubt that the Sub's magnet "injured" the iPod. The vibration more likely.
    Magnets don't injure electronics. A magnet "could" flip bits on the platters and screwup the format. But a sub or any speaker I know isn't strong enough to do that.

16. macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Is it the sound of the hard drives read head scraping the magnetic material off of the platters?
    If anything, the vibration could have been the problem. Not the magnets.

17. macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Seeing as how the warranty is expired, and you really have nothing to lose, did you try taking it apart? I swear taking things apart and putting them back together again will do wonders. Sometimes.

18. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

if you only use it by USB (not firewire) you could also replace the hard drive inside, you should be able to get a replacement for about $100, the problem is that it then won't work with firewire for some reason...

19. macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but this advice is incorrect. If you replace the hard drive then the iPod will function just as it originally did. The hard drive in the iPod has nothing to do with the interface between the iPod and the computer.

If you have a scratching/scraping noise from the iPod then chances are that you've had a head crash. This could either be caused by the sub-woofer magnets slightly deflecting the drive head. But more likely it has been the vibration from the sub-woofer that has caused a head crash.

Hard drive specifications define a maximum amplitude and frequency for environmental vibrations during drive operation. Placing an iPod that close to a sub-woofer probably exteeded the specifications.

BTW, sub-woofer placement is not that hard. The sounds emitted by a sub-woofer are not directional (unlike other speakers) so you don't need to place a sub in the middle of your main speakers. The sub-woofer just needs to be in the same volume of air as the listener... behind the couch, off in the corner of the room, anywhere it fits. (And away from any electronics you care about. :) )

20. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You're probably right, however when looking at replacing the hard drive in my 3G iPod, i read in many places that a replacement drive wouldn't work with Firewire when you just get a non Apple Toshiba replacement disk for some reason...

21. macrumors G4

Mord

put the ipod in the freezer for a night then try formating it, i resurected a 4g 40GB ipod like that a while back.

22. macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

well im not so sad now that it's not an Apple-made iPod, but an HP one. i spit on HP iPods..tee hee :p

23. macrumors 6502

??

You should definitely put something on that table so that doesn't happen again. If the table is occupied by stuff, people probably wont put stuff on it.

24. macrumors 6502a

Laser47

HP ipods are made by apple. Hp ipods are exactly the same as ipods sold from apple. The only difference is that it has the HP logo on the back.

25. adk
    macrumors 68000

adk

How old was the subwoofer? I just realized that I have an external HD sitting on my subwoofer, but it's apparently shielded, since my data still exists.