Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chell

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
I've got a bit of a problem:

I've restored InstallESD.dmg to my USB drive. When I mount BaseSystem.dmg it won't let me delete the alias. Anyone know what's up with that? My USB drive is formatted as "Mac OS Extended" if that matters.

Thanks!

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
I've got a bit of a problem:

I've restored InstallESD.dmg to my USB drive. When I mount BaseSystem.dmg it won't let me delete the alias. Anyone know what's up with that? My USB drive is formatted as "Mac OS Extended" if that matters.

Thanks!

You have to restore BaseSystem.dmg to the flash drive, not InstallESD.dmg. After that you delete the alias on the flash drive.

chell

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
Too late! Or would you recommend using Lion DiskMaker instead of your method?

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA

xkons

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2013
First of all i'd like to thank you for this great guide, but is it possible to say if it will be the same procedure for creating a bootable usb drive when mac os x mavericks is officially released or could i be that they will make it as "simple" as with mountain lion?

An answer is much appreciated :D

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
First of all i'd like to thank you for this great guide, but is it possible to say if it will be the same procedure for creating a bootable usb drive when mac os x mavericks is officially released or could i be that they will make it as "simple" as with mountain lion?

An answer is much appreciated :D

It is different, but can be done. There is a user here that explains how to do it. There is also a new version of LionDiskmaker for Mavericks in the works.

xkons

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2013
It is different, but can be done. There is a user here that explains how to do it. There is also a new version of LionDiskmaker for Mavericks in the works.

Thanks for the quick answer but I'm afraid you didn't get me right. I'm aware of the starting post of this thread. What i'm trying to ask is... this procedure is working for all developer previews of Mavericks that have been released. But what about the MacAppStore Version? Is there a possibility that they will change the method of creating a bootable usb drive of mavericks in the "released" version?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for the quick answer but I'm afraid you didn't get me right. I'm aware of the starting post of this thread. What i'm trying to ask is... this procedure is working for all developer previews of Mavericks that have been released. But what about the MacAppStore Version? Is there a possibility that they will change the method of creating a bootable usb drive of mavericks in the "released" version?

Apologies. Yes, I did misunderstand your question. :)

I suppose nobody knows for certain at this point, but it does seem late in the game to be changing things up like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.