How to build an iPhone app

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by waffles123, Apr 10, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

Feb 23, 2009
    Hello, I'm interested in building an iPhone app. I downloaded the iPhone SDK today, but I am having a little trouble with it. Do you guys know any sites or books that are helpful on how to code and ultimately build an iPhone app? Thanks.
  2. macrumors G3

Jan 9, 2008
    Sunny, Southern California
    I am sure if you do a search you find a lot of information not only here but online also.

Sorry this topic has been asked many times.

Good luck.
  3. macrumors regular

Jun 18, 2008
    What: iPhone SDK Programming by Maher Ali
    Where to find it: Barnes and Noble
  4. macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2007
    There are certainly many good books out there.

Apress, the publisher of this book

on occassion will put up ebook versions of their books on sale for $10, a new book is put on sale each day. The iphone one has been cycled through a few times so if you don't mind reading the thing on your computer, I'd wait, as I'm sure it will go on sale again.
  5. macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2009
    Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
    Look at the Stanford University podcast on building an iPhone App. You can find it in iTunes U.
  6. macrumors 65816

May 28, 2007
    Northern NJ
  7. macrumors 6502

Dec 5, 2008
    so I'm reading this and obviously I"m sure everyone has thought about making their own app, but I was under the assumption that you need extensive programing background..

so how hard is it if you have no background, and if you do need it, what level do you need to be at??
  8. macrumors regular

Apr 11, 2009
    Home of the 2010 Winter Games
    For a simple app (like a fart app...), you don't need much knowledge at all. For a 3D game or something else really complex, you will need quite a bit of knowledge.
  9. macrumors 65816

Jun 21, 2007
    In all honesty, you can probably start learning to program on the iPhone.
    You'll be learning Objective-C along the way of course, but it does require quite a bit of programming knowledge. Even with no programming knowledge, you'll be able to whip something fairly simple out in a few months if you work at it.
  10. macrumors 68010

Aug 23, 2008
    All depends on how far you want to get yourself to. If you don't invest the time to understand the foundation of programming, you will find yourself doing a lot of run around and writing very inefficient codes. But in all honesty, if you spend a lot of time writing and practicing, you will pick it up like anything else in life.

If you want to make powerpoint type apps, then sure, you won't need much to be able to do that.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2007
    i had no knowledge of ANY programming when i started a year ago, but it took me a year to learn the language, get used to the SDK, and build my first functional app.
  12. macrumors member

Jan 6, 2009