how to burn a music CD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wmmk, Jul 14, 2006.

1. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

i am leaving for camp tommorow and need to study chanting my Torah portion while I'm there. the cantor of our synagogue burned me a CD with all of the portion being chanted correctly. anyway, i ripped it into iTunes, and can't find the original CD. I'm not allowed to bring the iPod to camp, but a CD player is ok. The only blank discs that I have at the moment are CD-Rs. The audio files that I have are AAC. how do I make these playable by a normal CD player? i don't have a lot of time to do this, so I can't go out and buy software or anyhting. thanks a bunch.
    please and thanks in advance for the help!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Take the files/songs you want, and turn them into a playlist in iTunes. From there, all you need to do is insert a blank disk, and hit burn (top-right corner).

You can change burn settings in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > Burning. For a normal CD player, you'll want to ensure "Audio CD" is checked.

3. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

Cool. So this will work even though my files are AAC?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yup. Even if they are protected AAC's from iTMS you have authorized.

B

5. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

ok, what i meant was:
    are the AAC's converted to work with a normal CD player?

6. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

They are converted to a file format readable by normal CD players, yes.

Audio CDs, unlike MP3 CDs, are limited by song length, not file size...

7. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Just make sure Audio CD is checked in preferences. If so, the songs will be converted to AIFF, which is what regular CD's use.

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Not quite. Don't really want to go into a lengthy technical discussion of why this isn't true, but it's not. CDs use PCM data, and AIFF files also use PCM data, but CDs do not use AIFF. Mac OS X does make it look that way, but that's artificial to make things easy for the user (and is one seldom mentioned little feature on OS X that I think is cool). Further complicating the issue, apparently some CD players (though I've never run into one unless it advertised MP3 etc. support) will treat a data CD with AIFFs or WAV files like a regular audio CD and play it just fine. Others most definitely won't.

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I never knew that. Every time I put an audio CD in and browse it, songs show up as AIFF files. I never knew OSX was lying to me :mad:

10. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

Well, everyone, thanks for the help. The CD is burned and it works fine. Talk to ya all later:(

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not lying, just making things easier for you as mduser points out.

The biggest difference between an Audio CD and AIFF files burned on a Data CD is that the Audio CD is that the Data CD includes a file system and error correction checksums for each block of data to make sure it is being read correctly, the Audio CD doesn't and uses more of the CD for PCM audio.

This is why you can rip a CD to AIFF files and not be able to burn the files back to anothe CD. It also explains why recordable CD media still says both 700 MB and 80 min, even though 80 min of PCM audio is more than 700 MB.

B

12. meneni macrumors newbie

So Lost

I have being trying to burn a CD that would play in my car, but still can't get it right.
    My iTunes doesn't have a burn button (at least I can't see it) doesn't have the option burn on "iTunes > Preferences > Advanced ". Any suggestions???
    Thanks

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I think you're having problems because the info in this thread refers to a version of iTunes from 5 years ago. No worries though.

Let's try this: If you right-click (or, if you're on an older mac, click while holding down the control key) a playlist in the sidebar (it's on the left of the iTunes window), do you see "Burn Playlist to Disk" as an option? Does it work?

You should also see this option under File > Burn Playlist to Disk.

The preference (Audio CD vs. MP3 CD vs. Data CD) is now a setting in the window that appears after you select "Burn Playlist to Disk." For a car CD player, you likely want Audio CD.

PS - Welcome to MacRumors. :)