How to burn music on a data DVD from the iTunes library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fredou51, May 23, 2006.

1. Fredou51 macrumors regular

May 23, 2006
    Kingston, Ontario, Canada
    I have approximately 4-5 DVD (data DVD) worth of music (as mp3) in my iTunes library. My hard drive is getting quite full and I really have clean up some space. I don't have a superdrive (Unfortunately!) so I have to burn them using my dad's Toshiba. All my music in my library is identified with titles, artists... I tried dragging the files directly to a folder but the name of the file consist only of the title of the song (not the artists). It is impossible to sort 5000 songs without the authors name in the name of the file. I would like to get a format that looks approximately like that : (artist) - title. I cannot use something like automator because I don't have tiger. Do you have any idea how I could do that?

P.S. I just want to make sure everyone knows that all my music was legally acquired. And sorry for my English, I am french canadian.
  2. amholl macrumors 6502

Dec 21, 2004
    in iTunes-

from there it is self explanitory;)
  3. Fredou51 thread starter macrumors regular

May 23, 2006
    Kingston, Ontario, Canada
    The burning option in iTunes is great except that I don't have a DVD burner so I actually have to export it to another computer.
  4. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I don't know if this helps, but if you simply burn the files onto the DVD - regardless of file name - and them put them onto another computer, you can then import them into iTunes, which will extract the information needed. So, unless you need to have the info on the DVD itself, this should work.

I know of no way to rename the songs, but am also interested to see if someone else does know of a way.
  5. Keebler macrumors 68030

Jun 20, 2005
    in your itunes folder

Allo Fredou!

all of your music was/is catalogued by Itunes..typically in folders by artists and then subfolders for albums etc... simply locate your itunes music folder (typically in the home user/library of your main hard drive unless you moved it). a simple way to find this would be to launch itunes, click on a song and go to reveal in finder. then you can use drill back with the finder to show the exact path.

anyhooo, take your main itunes folder and drag that as you need it.

another option is to buy an external hard drive to back your music up or buy another internal HD. not sure if you have a mac laptop or a g4/g5, but internals are cheap....about $130 for a 300 GB HD the last I saw...