how to buy a GeForce2 MX

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by scem0, Sep 4, 2002.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Where can I find a GeForce2 MX, like the ones selling in Apple computers. I have been looking for a video card to buy online, but I cant seem to get any 'straight answers', I keep getting sent places that send me to other places, until I am right where I started. Also, I have $90 to spen on a video card, is the GeForce 2 MX my best bet. I will be mostly playing WarCraft III. Any help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!

2. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

wow, does nobody know where to get one? I cant seem to find any video cards for macs anywhere.... oh well :(...

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There is no retail version of either the GeForce 2MX or 4MX. Your best bet would be either the ATI Radeon 7500 or 9000 as they both come in retail packages and are at the lowest price point for AGP video cards for Mac.

4. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

which one would I get the most bang for the buck with warcraft III. I dont want to spend more then $90, is it possible to get the 9000 for less then $90? Thanks.

5. TMJ1974 macrumors member

Maybe eBay

For the Nvidia cards, maybe try eBay...I saw a GeForce 2MX on there once, but it was over your budget.

Also, the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro is going to be about $149 and I don't think it's actually out yet...that's the one I'm waiting for.

To be honest, I'd save the extra $60 (yeah, yeah, I know how that is, believe me) and get the Radeon 9000, it's an awesome card for the money.

Tim

6. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

HERE!!

Get an ATI Radeon Mac Edition AGP Version.

Its the card I have, and it beats the pants off the 2mx, I got it for 70 dollars. Try EBAY!

7. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Well it sounds like eBay is the best. But is it possible to get a video card from a store? Such as Fry's, CompUSA, etc.? I live in Austin, Texas and we have a bunch of computer stores here. It would be hard to believe that there are none that hold mac video cards.