How to cancel an app that "froze" during download

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swy05, Dec 30, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

Anyone know how to cancel the download of an app?

I started downloading an app and as soon as it started it looks like it's just frozen now.

I tried holding the home button for 7 seconds to cancel. I also tried rebooting the phone and everytime it boots up, the app is still there attempting to download. Tried home and power to reboot, same thing.

Anyone know of another way to force the quit? Ughhh.:mad:

2. macrumors member

Simply tapping the app icon usually pauses the download, but I don't think that works in this situation, as I've been in it myself. Best thing to do is just wait through it, I suppose. :(

3. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If the download is not working, you might try logging into iTunes on a computer and checking for purchased content. Since it never successfully installed on the device, it should download to iTunes. Then, you can install it by syncing, and it should be done.

Oddly, I bought Brothers in Arms over the weekend and it failed to download over WiFi on my iPhone. It came up with a message telling me to use iTunes to finish getting it. :confused: Maybe the same will work in your case, although it's slightly different?

4. macrumors newbie

Restore the iPhone on iTunes. That happened to me, and that was the only thing that fixed it. It should delete the app altogether, so if you don't want it you should be good. If you do want it, just download it again.

5. macrumors newbie

The following worked for me:

1. Pause the download by tapping the icon
    2. Turn the phone completely off (with red slider) thus disconnecting the phone from the app store
    3. Turn the phone back on, when prompted to sign into the app store click cancel so that the download does not resume
    4. Press and hold an icon to enter "shakey" mode
    5. You should now be able to delete the icon/download by tapping it. I was prompted that I would still be able to down load from the app store

6. macrumors newbie

this should help:
    http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=12088736

7. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's what I do and so far it's worked every time.

8. macrumors newbie

9. macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Just go sync the phone and it will go into your iTunes download and install on the next sync.

10. macrumors newbie

all you need to do is just turn your apple device off and turn it back on .... give that a try