How to change a port in Bit Torrent

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by runninmac, Jul 2, 2006.

1. runninmac macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    Recently my ISP has been limiting my bandwidth. When downloading Diggnation I could get speeds of more than 300 kB/s but now my peak is 2 kB/s. So Im figuring the only thing I have to do is change the port in Azureus but I don't want to screw up so what port should I change it to and how can I tell if my firewall will allow that port? Anything would be great.

(Also since it use to work fine it wouldn't be a NAT problem right? those seem mighty nasty)
  2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    Just change to something in the higher range. If you want to be guaranteed that no other application uses it, use something in the range between 49152–65535.

Further, Azureus uses UPnP, which allows it to define rules on your router automatically. If you were getting good speeds before without configuring anything yourself, you should have no problem with the new port either.
  3. jayd macrumors member

Oct 24, 2006
    could someone please give me step by step directions to switch my azureus and computer to port 49152 so i can speed up my downloads? please dont give me a link to the azureus website because i dont understand the directions on there website. if someone can give me step by step directions on what to click on it would be greatly appreciated. thank you. i have a 2003 powerbook g4 labtop. i just went to azureus preferences and under connection i typed 49152 and hit save. theres probably some other things i have to do in system preferences to connect to the port right ?