How to change account permissions

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by niggiebro, Aug 4, 2004.

1. niggiebro macrumors member

niggiebro

As this may seem a surprise, I'm familiarizing myself with OS X 10.3

I see Apple has moved everything around. I have some existing user accounts that I would like to change their permissions. Where do I go about doing this.

Do I just go into the User's folder and just simply highlight the users name and select Get Info and change the permissions that way?

Or do I use NetInfo Manager?

Thanks,

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Actually, you can't set permissions in NetInfo Manager. The Get Info method you described is the easiest way to do it. Just select the folder with the permissions you want changed, Get Info for the folder, click the little lock icon, make yourself the owner temporarily, change the permissions, then set the owner either to what it was before or whatever you want it to be.

3. niggiebro thread starter macrumors member

niggiebro

Thanks for the info!

I have other questions? What is indexing, and how do you know for sure that you have Admin privileges?

As I create new user account I myself I'm denied access to some of the user accounts I've just created.

Thanks

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

The only real way to do this is to enable root user, and work as root... which will turn off all safety features that keep you from accidentally screwing up the whole system irreperably. There is no normal account that will give you access to other accounts-- they're always going to be sealed off, even if you're an Admin user... Sure you can change the permissions manually, but if you ever need to Repair Permissions (and chances are good you will at some point), it will change them back. Plus, modifying the permissions of others' accounts can make it impossible to log in under that account...

I'm not sure I understand why you need to create several accounts and access them from each other? As i said, if you must, root can do this... but it seems like it would just be easier to log in to each account that you want to modify... a lot safer, too.

paul

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Indexing, or content indexing, is the process of examining files for triggers (specified on a by-language basis in Finder preferences) and storing those triggers and their locations in an index database. The database is referenced anytime you perform a find by content search, and automatically updated weekly if your weekly script runs.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Repairing Permissions does not decend into the /Users hierarchy. It only compares against the BOMs found in /Library/Receipts/. So changing user permissions within the /User hierarchy will never be "broken" by a Permissions Repair.
    That being said you can fiddle with user permissions all you want, but unless you detail what it is that you're trying to accomplish, fiddling with user permissions might accomplish nothing for you.

Familerize yourself with chown & chmod. You can read both's man pages in the Terminal with "man chmod" and "man chown", or if you prefer a more webby look:

man chmod
    man chown

7. davey-nb macrumors regular

Need to change Administrator

I find myself set up with two users – both me, with slightly different short names.
    I want to delete the existing Administrator me and make the other user me the Administrator.
    Any help would be appreciated!

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

system preferences perhaps? :p
    easiest way i can think of.

9. niggiebro thread starter macrumors member

niggiebro

Sorry I got back too late on replying I am out of town at the moment, but as long as I can find a interent access point I can be here and every where!

Fyi, thangs for all your info. When I get back home I will apply these suggestion. I kind of got to what I wanted to do using the suggest of by: paulwhannel, "but it seems like it would just be easier to log in to each account that you want to modify... a lot safer, too."

Thanks again!

p/s I'm really getting to like this OS...it's about time Apple!!!

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....also have a look at a handy donationware utility called Sharepoints - may help you out some too....oh yeah!