how to change default permissions with multiple users?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Oats, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Oats macrumors regular

Hi-

my wife and i share a computer, but use seperate accounts for seperate mail accounts, etc. here is a problem that bothers me from time to time:

when one of us creates a new file/folder, by default it is read-only to the other user. we are both administrators on the machine, but still we run into permissions issues. for myself, i can override the settings for a particular file/folder by changing the permissions, but my wife is not so technical. we trust eachother and prefer to have complete access to eachother's files, since we share many.

is there a way to set default permissions for new files/folders to be more open, easier to share with multiple users?

also a related question i've had is, is it possible to share a common iphoto/itunes library between two different user accounts? for example, when one person uploads a new itunes album or new photos, for the other person's library to be automatically updated as well?

thanks.

2. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

TinkerTool can solve that permissions problem. Here is a quote from their FAQ:

3. Oats thread starter macrumors regular

i don't want to install tinkertool.

there should be a BSD unix based solution to this problem, shouldn't there? modify some script somewhere, execute a few terminal commands?

4. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I have no idea if there are any commands to do what you want. I assume tinkertool is an interface to some scripts it comes with, which in turn execute BSDish commands. Even if you find some commands that do what you want, you will need to them to be executed each time you boot OS X, which is not as easy as checking a checkbox in tinkertool. :)

5. wickwood macrumors newbie

Same Exact Problem...Did you find a solution?

Hello Oats,

My wife and I have exactly the same problem, but I have yet to find a solution? Did you find one?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve