How to change MAC address

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by tbluhp, Apr 29, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

How do you do that simple and quick?

My iPod currently has no internet cause of it.

2. macrumors 68040

andybno1

how do you know its because you have no mac address?

also how do you know u have no mac address?

3. macrumors member

im almost certain this wont be because you have no mac address. I would also like to second the above comment: how do you know you have no mac address. There is a wifi address found in Settings>>General>>About but no mac address. The most likely cause is an IP conflict with your router. Your best bet will be to set a static IP address on your router and then manually inputting the information in the static settings under your network settings on your ipod
    Hope it helps :rolleyes:

4. macrumors newbie

It is not possible to change a MAC address on any internet enabled device. It is hard coded into the chip that provides the connectivity. This is to ensure having a completely unique identifier. TCP/IP would not work without this simple rule (there are lots of other simple rules, this just happens to be one of them).

Now.. if to what you are referring is a lack of IP address that's something completely different.

Peace

P.s. the WiFi address is the mac address. I know this because it's what I have to put in my router for strict mac address allow.

5. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Go ahead and believe this if you want.

FYI, if you know what you are doing, it is easy to spoof a MAC address on many devices.

6. macrumors member

Yes, you can't change MAC of the device ;> but still software sends that MAC, and if system/application can edit with lowest-level of packets it can change MAC in progress, and other device according to TCP/IP - Ethernet specification will think it's a true MAC of the device. Simply specification don't expect that MAC can be fake, it's a security hole in specification.

7. macrumors member

Install Cydia. (google it, its an alternative to installer.app which uses apt-get like on linux)
    There's a package in the Cydia repositories called StealthMac, this allows you to set a different mac address at boot.
    I'm afraid i can't check this for you since i'm running 2.0fw on my iPot at the moment, but if you google the package name you should find instructions i'd say...