How to change registration info on my PB?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vita_kk, Sep 2, 2004.

1. vita_kk macrumors newbie

Aug 4, 2004
    I got my new 15" PB two days ago, I'M LOVING IT!
    However, being a PC years for so many years, I must admit that I'm a complete dummy on Mac.

1. When I turned on my computer for the first time, it asked me for registration. Maybe I was too excited on my new PB, I made a typo while registering.
    Now I can see my typo all the time, when turning on the computer... in the computer name...etc etc. This is quite annoying for me and I really want to change it.

2. I installed IE and MSN Messenger on my PB. Then I place both shortcuts on my 'quick launch' menu. Weird things is....after I logged out, I found that the MSN Messenger is completely gone! Shortcuts no longer in the 'quick launch', I performed a command search and can't find anything related to 'msn'. However, the IE is still there.

So I tried to narrow it down from a Windows approch, I thought it might be a user profile things like WinXP. But quickly I ruled out this reason, because I have only one single user set up on my PB, so it couldn't be a profile thing, right?

Being a Mac dummy, I can't think of any solutions for the above issues. Anyone can provide me some insight? Thanks a lot.
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    1. If your short user name needs changing, there's no easy way to do it. The best way, unfortunately, is to reinstall Mac OS X. The computer name can be changed in the Sharing pane of System Preferences.

2. Odds are you forgot to drag the MSN Messenger icon out of the disk image and into your applications folder. You'll need to do this, then eject the disk image, before MSN Messenger will stay around when you log out and back in or restart the Mac.
  3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    1. wrldwzrd89 is right, if you typed the short name wrong you will need a re-install or you could create a new userfor yourself then delete your old one. However if it is the normal name you need to change you can do that in system prefrences under the accounts menu.

2. As wrldwzrd89 said when you had the disc image on your desktop did you drag the application that was inside of it to your applications folder? If you did then all you have to do is drag it from the applications folder to your dock to create a "shortcut" in there. Also I would personally stay away from MSN Messenger and Internet Explorer. Instead of MSN Messenger try Adium X and Instead of Internet Explorer use Safari (It came with your computer) or Mozilla Firefox

EDIT: I also forgot to mention, when you have one of those applications you are having problems with open try right clicking on it in the dock and click on keep in dock.