How to change settings for OS' built-in archive option?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by flitcher, Feb 13, 2005.

1. flitcher macrumors newbie

Is it possible to change the settings (advanced) of the archive utility you get when you right-click on an item? I want to have the option of doing a maximum compression if I want to, or a minimum compression to save time if I want.

Lastly, I called Apple about this, but am a little hessitant ATM because if its not a problem their techs charge me $100. I just got an ibook 12" a month ago, and about 2 weeks ago I noticed that in the bottom 2 corners of my screen, i have a dark/grey area of about 1" from the corner that extends out in all equal directions. This area for both corners has a greyish hue to it, and when I open up an all white document, or even when I bootup and the apple logo appears, the corners are very easy to tell that there is some color problem.

Anyway, I called apple, the tech had me go through some tests (cant remember them really because I just switched to apple), and he determined it could be a screen problem. Well I got the box to send my laptop to them, but noticed that in the email they sent, they said that if they cannot find a problem I will be charged up to $100. I know there is a problem, but the fact is if they feel like the discoloration (noticable, but then again, not THAT noticable) warrants a free repair. What do you guys think?

And lastly, my spacebar is uneven, how can I fix this. If you were to divide it in half, then the right side sticks up slightly higher than the left, and its very noticable, plus it makes a squeeky noise when I press it sometimes.

Other than this stuff, I like my apple, but want to have this stuff fixed.

2. flitcher thread starter macrumors newbie

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

First of all, I'd call before you send it back and add the spacebar to the list of issues - that's a definite problem, and one they should fix. Plus, the display issue sounds like a genuine problem.

Second, I don't know of a way to alter the archive settings, but I'd be interested in hearing of one.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There's a preferences file for the archive utility that it creates the first time it is used - ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.bomarchivehelper.plist. Open this file in the Property List Editor tool that comes with XCode (or, if you lack XCode, open it in TextEdit - it's just a specially formatted XML file) and look around in there for settings that might be relevant to what you want changed.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Sadly, at least mine contains nothing of use - just NSWindow Frame stuff (only 2 items altogether).

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Even delving into the package contents of /System/Library/CoreServices/BOMArchiveHelper.app, I see nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if there were flags for /System/Library/CoreServices/BOMArchiveHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/BOMArchiveHelper, but I don't know what they might be.