How to change the highlight color of a row in a tableview

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by tmeehan, Mar 12, 2009.

1. tmeehan macrumors newbie

Feb 25, 2009
    I need to be able to modify the behavior of my tableview. When I click on a row, i would like it to be selected but show now signs of being selected. I may in the future want to just draw a frame around the selected row - but for now I would just like it to do nothing. In other words I want to disable the blue highliting when a cell is clicked. The row does need to be selectable however because the cells are editable and one of the columns consists of NSPopUpButtonCells.

I have subclassed NSTableView and NSTableColumn.

Help with this would make my week! Thanks in advance.
  2. tmeehan thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 25, 2009
    Close but not quite there yet

Thanks for the link. It did provide a lot of insight into the whole issue. And I imagine that somewhere in there are critical pieces of the puzzle. I still can't control the highlighting on the non-text cells. For my simple test I just have one column of text and one column whose cells are NSPopUpButtonCells. I have subclassed NSTableColumn to deal with the popups and all that works great except for this highlighting issue.

I would love to get my head around the whole cycle that occurs from the time i click on a row until the time I release the mouse and observe the selected and highlighted row. ie seems like the mousedown event would kick things off. From there I am sure a whole chain of messages are sent from object to object in a very specific order. If I could find out exactly what is going on and in what order, I could probably track down exactly what method is doing the actual drawing of the highlight color. From there I assume I could code my way out of this situation.

I am all ears. Any help at all would help me cope. thanks
  3. kainjow Moderator emeritus

Jun 15, 2000
    Oops sorry I mixed up highlighting and alternating color :eek:

I believe you can override highlightSelectionInClipRect and draw what you want there to replace the color.