Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Hi,

I think I have quite a stupid question: maybe someone can explain me how to change the icons for e.g. the HD or programs. Because I am stupid I would need a detailed description. I am trying this now for 2 days :-( Pls don't tell anybody.

Thanks
CmdrLaForge

Pandora

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2003
Zürich, Switzerland
you right-click on the file with the new icon...then on Get Info..you'll see a small version of the icon there..click it (it'll be marked now)..then command-c (copy)..go to your harddrive and click the icon in get Info..now just paste it (command-v)

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
Highlight the icon you want to change TO. Copy this icon by going into edit:copy. Then highlight the icon you want to change. Now go to file:get info. The icon you want to change will appear in the top left corner of the info box. Highlight it, then go to edit:paste.

Simple as that. Obviously keyboard shortcuts make things quicker!

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
if you're looking for a way to change all icons of a certain type, for instance all of my folders are a custom 3D icon now-- use Candybar (search versiontracker.com) and it will change the default icons in the system. quite handy.

pnw

doctorhook

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
Venice, CA
Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
Hi,

thanks from the stupid guy. I got it.

Cheers

Don't demean yourself. The smartest thing to do when you need information is to ask for it. It is the folks who think they know it all (like me) who deserve the "stupid" classification.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.