Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
Hi guys,

I'm going to change the thermal compound on my MacBook Pro first thing tomorrow morning. The heat isn't so bad since I done the firmware upgrade but I figured there's obviously too much on there and so my machine would be better off if I reapplied it. So I'm wondering two things. Firstly, is there any instructions anywhere on how to do it? I know roughly what to do. I mean I know how to take the top casing off and the cpu is in the top right corner of the logic board, but I'd like to see any instructions if there are any. Also, what thermal compound would you recommend out of Antec Silver Thermal Compound and Alaska Silver-Based Hi-Spec Thermal Compound (they're the two my local store has in stock)?

Thanks

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
Also is there too much thermal paste on the ATI X1600 too or just on the Intel Core Duo. The real reason I want to get my system cooler is because I want to install Boot Camp and XP then use the ATI Tool to get my GPU up to speed (they come underclocked). Then of course remove XP and Boot Camp. Unless anyone knows a way of getting the GPU up to speed within OS X?

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Max on Macs said:
Also is there too much thermal paste on the ATI X1600 too or just on the Intel Core Duo. The real reason I want to get my system cooler is because I want to install Boot Camp and XP then use the ATI Tool to get my GPU up to speed (they come underclocked). Then of course remove XP and Boot Camp. Unless anyone knows a way of getting the GPU up to speed within OS X?
The software overclock will only work from within Windows, so that little trick won't work, I believe.

I could be wrong, but the overclock isn't written to a BIOS or anything.

Oh, and you'll be doing all three chips, as they're all heavily covered in Apple's production goop. :)

stefan15

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2005
Canada
If you download Radlinker (or just Radclocker from that same site), you can write BIOS clock and memory rates. You will need Windows installed to do that, though.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Then I wouldn't remove Windows, as you'll have no way to quickly/easily clock the chip down if there's a problem. Sounds like a potential way to brick your system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.