Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
I am going away this summer, cross country and need to buy an ipod. I really dont listen to much music, but i am going to be on a bus a lot so i need something. I was just going to get a shuffle because its nice and cheap, only 100 bucks, but i just realised how am i going to charge it? Doesnt it only charge through usb>? I wont be near a computer barely at all this summer, so i might need to go ipod mini.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
jer446 said:
I am going away this summer, cross country and need to buy an ipod. I really dont listen to much music, but i am going to be on a bus a lot so i need something. I was just going to get a shuffle because its nice and cheap, only 100 bucks, but i just realised how am i going to charge it? Doesnt it only charge through usb>? I wont be near a computer barely at all this summer, so i might need to go ipod mini.

you need to get the usb power adapter...

http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/accessories.html

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
You can get a battery pack and/or a charger, but perhaps the mini would be better for you - the screen and extended battery life might come in handy.

Attachments

• Shuffle.jpg
    Shuffle.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 103

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
wow for that price i might as well by the mini i think, for 179 with edu discount.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
jer446 said:
wow for that price i might as well by the mini i think, for 179 with edu discount.

maybe. who knows. depending on the number of songs you wanna carry the mini might be a better option as well.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
jer446 said:
Yeah, it's not all that much more than even the 512MB Shuffle once you add the charger. One thing: the Shuffles are vastly more abuse-tolerant - you can drop them, hit them, etc. with little or no lasting effect, unlike a disk-based iPod.

sk8erboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
hmm.. well i would go with the mini for sure. its better priced for the amount of gigs you get.

however, if you decided that you want to run with your mp3 player, the shuffle would be a better option because its is a flash drive. im not sure if you understand this lingo... but if you run with a mini, which is hard drive, than you will be waring down the hard drive.. in perhaps in a matter of months it will not work. Running causes vibrations on the hard drive.. which eventually end up breaking itself [ HD.]

srry for the confusion.... there are pro's and con's for both.. but i would go with the mini... GREEN of course. :D just be careful when you run.. get an arm band.. hopefully that will help

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
sometimes we have to look beyond price when looking at these things though..

i.e. if you're planing on doing any long-distance walks, or hiking or anything like that, a shuffle will better suit you. jsw is right in saying the shuffle is very abuse tolerant. i ran over mine with a bmw 7 series car tyre this morning just to see how it held up..and it was fine!

whatever apple say, you definitely will get much better charge with a shuffle, and it will hold it's charge longer.

just some points for you to consider :)

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
i have to do the pros and cons of both, i was hoping i could trade some stuff for someones shuffle or mini, but no one yet. So i will keep looking.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
asif786 said:

i.e. if you're planing on doing any long-distance walks, or hiking or anything like that, a shuffle will better suit you. jsw is right in saying the shuffle is very abuse tolerant. i ran over mine with a bmw 7 series car tyre this morning just to see how it held up..and it was fine!

whatever apple say, you definitely will get much better charge with a shuffle, and it will hold it's charge longer.

Apple's products not only well designed, but very strong! =P

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2005
So you purposely ran over the Shuffle? I would really like to see that! Heck, I'm sure Apple would like a photo of that. It could be part of their marketing for the Shuffle's durability. Please, provide pixs!

asif786 said:

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
Advance The Man said:
So you purposely ran over the Shuffle? I would really like to see that! Heck, I'm sure Apple would like a photo of that. It could be part of their marketing for the Shuffle's durability. Please, provide pixs!

i didnt take any pics at the time (i was just trying to tell someone that their creative zen was a waste of time, so i thought i would show off a bit too ;))

i'll do it again tonight/tomorrow though, and post the pics ;)

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
asif786 said:
i didnt take any pics at the time (i was just trying to tell someone that their creative zen was a waste of time, so i thought i would show off a bit too ;))

Now watch, you'll run over it again and bust it.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
asif786 said:

You should have ran over the Creative Zen as well to show them which one was more durable :D

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
tech4all said:
You should have ran over the Creative Zen as well to show them which one was more durable :D
He should have run over the Zen just to get rid of it :D
I want to see those pics as well

JoeKarame

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
I've been on a steady downgrade with my iPods...Started off with a 'chunky' 2nd Gen 10gb one, then moved to a 1st generation mini. Have to say I was really quite shocked with the battery life of it at the time. But I sold that off on eBay (amusingly enough for me, at the same price a new one would have cost - the buyer won the bid just as the new versions came out...I felt guilty for a couple of minutes only ;) ).

Now I just have a 512k Shuffle - and I've loved every minute with it. It does everything I need it to do, has a decent battery life, and is lovely and light!

And it might just be me, but I honestly find the sound quality on it to be slightly better than on my old mini.

But the good thing now is that you could buy any of the range, and be happy with the choice. There's honestly not a poor one in the bunch as far as I'm concerned :)

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
jer446 said:
the new ipod mini doesn't come with the usb ac adapter either, so you have to get that for the mini too

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
javiercr said:
the new ipod mini doesn't come with the usb ac adapter either, so you have to get that for the mini too
That was going to be my point too.
Everyone was well impressed at the price drop of the 1-2G iPod Minis. What they failed to realize was that the majority of this drop was due to no power adaptor and only the USB cable, which (at apple prices) comes to $48. So if you wanted to buy a Mini 2G with all the things you got with the Mini 1G (4GB) it would cost you $247. I cant remember the original $ price though. (I got one for £180 in the UK)

This exact same thing has happened across the iPod range.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
wait! please elaborate? How do i charge my ipod mini? Isnt there the same thing that comes with the ipod, like it plugs into the wall outlet?!

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
jer446 said:
wait! please elaborate? How do i charge my ipod mini? Isnt there the same thing that comes with the ipod, like it plugs into the wall outlet?!

As James Philp and javiercr noted, the 2nd generation iPod mini's don't come with AC adapters. Apple got rid of these to lower prices with the update. The only iPods that include the power brick are the original, the U2, and the Photo.

Personally, I would go with the shuffle for running... I've been wanting to get one since they came out, but I just can't justify buying another iPod.

reality

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
well im going to be going away for 5 weeks, and although i really want a shuffle, i am going to need a screen. The mini should be fine for just walking and listening to it on a bus right? I might take it on a hike, but i wont be running.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
jer446 said:
well im going to be going away for 5 weeks, and although i really want a shuffle, i am going to need a screen. The mini should be fine for just walking and listening to it on a bus right? I might take it on a hike, but i wont be running.

Yeah you'll be fine, but make sure you get a USB power adaptor.

JoeKarame said:
Now I just have a 512k Shuffle - and I've loved every minute with it. It does everything I need it to do, has a decent battery life, and is lovely and light!

512k!! :eek: What bitrate do you encode at to get songs onto it?

;)

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
jer446 said:

Remember, the Shuffle got its name because that's the only thing it does, Shuffle. So, you're at the mercy of the algorhythms that Apple created to randomly shuffle the songs. Are you sure you want that little control over your music for 5 weeks?

tombo

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2004
Brighton/Bristol UK
Ugg said:
Remember, the Shuffle got its name because that's the only thing it does, Shuffle. So, you're at the mercy of the algorhythms that Apple created to randomly shuffle the songs. Are you sure you want that little control over your music for 5 weeks?

IIRC you can choose whether to listen to your tracks in Shuffle mode or just 'straight'.

It's similar to a playlist: you put tracks on in the order that you want to listen to them in. You can drag and drop like you would any playlist you create in iTunes.

Your choice to use the random 'algorithm' or not:
Shuffle switch piccie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.