how to check if iphone is stolen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nardomang, Jul 3, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    ive recently been looking on craigslist for picking up an iphone. i found one from some kid that lives in a rich neighborhood, so im wondering if its just a kid that wants money because he/she got something else or if its stolen. its a 16gig white iphone 3g for $125... im wondering if there is any way to check to see if the iphone is stolen when i go to check it out? if anyone can help out it would be greatly appreciated
  2. macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2008
    Cupertino, California
    If you still have the box, you should be able to compare the serial number on the box and the one on the phone.
  3. macrumors 68040

Knowlege Bomb

Feb 14, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Did you even read the first post?

OP: The only way you're going to be able to tell is if he has all of the original packaging/accessories. Then you'll know it's NOT stolen.

If he doesn't have these things, it means nothing. He could have lost them or gotten the phone from a friend or family member.
  4. macrumors 68000

Jul 3, 2008
    No formal way to know but there are several clues that it "Might be hot".

1. No box, USB Cable or A/C charging block
    2. Phone not charged and the "owner" does not have a clue how to use it
    3. No original receipt but it could have been a gift or second-hand already

Note check that the water sensors are not tripped:

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    cool thanks everyone...

i have a blackberry bold and was thinking maybe i could just put my sim card in and attempt to make a call or something if that works... make sure the phone isn't locked if it stolen or something