How to check if Mac is stolen?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BlueCdreams, Jul 17, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2006
    SoCal desert
    Hi All,
    Is there a site where I can run a serial number to see if a Mac was stolen?
    There is a an original 500mhz Cube, built in the USA for sale at eBay but
    the guy doesn't seem too familiar w/Macs.
    Thanks for your help.
  2. macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    Nope, I don't believe so.

Link us to the eBay auction (or you could PM it to me if you're worried about someone else buying the auction) and someone can probably tell you if it looks like a scam/stolen item or not.
  3. macrumors regular

Jul 20, 2006
    Yeah i wish there was a way, to report it stolen and it be unable to work. I know PCS have software you can buy does anyone know of the same software for Mac?
  4. macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2006
    do u mean something like ?
  5. macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2006

You never know, Check the sellers feedback. Maybe he just brought the cube somewhere cheap and is reselling it. I am not sure if there are any scams trying to sell a cube. They will pick a hotter item.

Since the cube is out of warranty , and i doubt any buyer will send it to Apple to fix (will cost more then what they paid for it). You will never find out really.

I need people sell cubes for as little as $100. He might of gotten lucky and brought it cheap and now is reselling it. I think that is the case here.
  6. weg
    macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2004
    When my Powerbook was stolen I tried to report the serial number to Apple.. they said they couldn't care less..
  7. macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    Did they actually say that?

weg: Good morning, I would like to report my Powerbook stolen.
    tech: We couldn't care less.

I thought they have a registry of stolen Mac serial numbers or something, just so they'd deny service when a stolen machine shows up in a service centre.
  8. macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location
    Lapcop, which is (or was around 3 years ago) the most famous software:
  9. Guest

Nov 4, 2008
    I know this is an old post but since it's one of the first results in google when people type in "how can i report my mac stolen" i figured i add this link here; has a huge register of stolen machines. You can report your apple product as stolen, no registration or anything required and the database is visible worldwide.