Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Anyone figure this out for Apple Music?

Maybe it just defaults to highest resolution available?

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
Looks like you can't change the streaming quality in apple music. Bit of a bummer for those with limited data plans.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
It's not called resolution. That is what he is trying to get at.

My bad but most knew what I was referring to more than likely.

From what I have read, the music quality playback for streaming and downloads varies.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
50mb for a 3 and half minute song. Forget it.

Seriously?

So 20 songs streamed = 1 GIG?

What is the point then?

I only have a 10 GIG plan amongs five phones. LOL...

For some strange reason, I get the feeling you are either kidding, or just flat out wrong.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Seriously?

What is the point then?

For some strange reason, I get the feeling you are either kidding, or just flat out wrong.

My guess would be something like 5MB?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Seriously?

What is the point then?

I was just using wifi today, we will need to see how cellular data pans out. I'll try to do some testing tomorrow. A big strike if it eats up data, my plan is only 3GB.

I wonder if Tmobile is going to include this in their unlimited streaming music.

schlaufox

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2013
No option to choose the quality of downloaded music, though I very much assume it's 256kbps AAC (iTunes Plus) – the same as tracks sold on the iTunes Store.

There's an Apple Support document somewhere which explains that streaming quality is decided based on available bandwidth, connection speed, etc.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Does anyone know - if you've got a list that's mixed downloaded and not-downloaded songs, does it only stream the not-downloaded songs?

schlaufox

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2013
Does anyone know - if you've got a list that's mixed downloaded and not-downloaded songs, does it only stream the not-downloaded songs?

I took an album from Apple Music and saved it to My Music. I then only downloaded one track. I played other tracks from that album and noticed that they had a slight delay before they played due to having to buffer first. There was no such delay with the single track from that album I had downloaded.

So from that, it seems that it's smart enough to stream tracks that need to be streamed, and conserve bandwidth by accessing local copies of those tracks you have downloaded, even when a data connection is available.

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
I was using a data app on android and it said I used 55Mb data. My networks tether plan said 7 meg. That's still way over my 2gb tether limit per month. Even if I just use it 1 hour per day.

oats555

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
If you go to Usage in Settings, then click on Music, it actually breaks down how much space is being used by each saved artist/album/song. I'm generally anywhere from 3.5-7mb per song saved. I assume the streamed mb would be the same.

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
OK so I have done another test and some very weird results. Using my iphone 4s tethered to my Nexus 6, 5 minutes of music uses approx 50mb! But my 4s tethered to an Iphone 6s only uses 10mb of music. Can someone please help clarify why the big difference? (both on the same cellular network)

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
My bad but most knew what I was referring to more than likely.
Yes, everyone knew. Some people on the Internet just need to reconfirm their superiority by going "Hahahahaha! LOL He said a wrong word! Haha! He didn't know something that I know!! Hahahahaha! Hurrdurr! How funny!" instead of saying "I think you meant <this> instead of <that>." @richwoodrocket seems to be one of these people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.