How to clean a G5 Case?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by kevinvh, Nov 16, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2004
    Hi there, unfortunately a bit of soda has ended up on the outside
    panel of my G5 case.. I brushed it off with some paper towel and it's looking
    much better, but I'd like to give it a heavier duty cleaning. Are regular household cleaning products ok? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks much!

2. macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    Well Apple tells you to never use any house hold cleaning products on any of its products. I use rubbing alcohol for most things to clean my Macs. Just DO NOT use it on your LCD screen as it will eat the protective coating away. Just use a soft cloth (damp paper towel works great) and wipe softly across the screen. Its usually not a good idea to do it while the screen is on and don't let any water get inside the cracks of the screen. If you do, then let the screen sit a while so the water can dry out. You also buy this stuff called iKlear thats specifically made for LCD screens. Its available on the Apple Online Store.

Get some compressed air to blow the dust, dirt, etc from under the keys. Its probably not a bad idea to take the compressed air and blow the dust out from inside the PowerMac every once in a while. That will make it cool better. Just make sure the computer is turned off. I believe the PowerMac will go to sleep after the plastic cover inside the aluminum side panel is removed anyways.
  3. macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2002
    Las Vegas
  4. macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Is it just dried soda on the outside of the case? If so, a damp (bordering on wet, but it can't be dripping) paper towel should do the trick if you give it a good rub.