How to Clean my PBG4 Fan?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by psychspirit, Aug 5, 2006.

1. psychspirit macrumors member

Jul 25, 2006
    Hi guys, I've had my Powerbook for 2.5 years now. This summer, I've noticed that the fan keeps turning on and that my laptop overheats way too often. Today, I went to the store and bought a Targus Chill Mat. Now, it doesn't overheat. BUT, I have a feeling that I have some dust collected in the fans. I would feel a lot better knowing that my fans are clean. :eek:

Anyways, how do you guys go about this issue? Do you open it up and wipe the dust out? And how do you clean the fan? OR should I just leave it as it is and stick with the Targus Chill Mat?
  2. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

Jun 1, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    Isn't there an air intake on the PB? Not all laptops do, (generally the low power/ cruddy ones) but if there is and it's sufficiently large you can put a vacuum/handheld up to it. This might save opening it up but make sure it's off before doing so as it will rotate the fan. If that doesn't yield any results you should take it apart and use compressed air (not a vacuum as they tend to produce static). You could also take the fan out (it disconnects I'm pretty sure, as most do) and disassemble it. You can then soak the propeller/blade part let it dry and be sure you got all of it. Then just blow of your internals. If you really suspect dust, I'd clean it out but it could just be the fan wearing out of needing grease. :)