How to clean oil spot on leather smart cover??

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by jtsui, May 20, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

there is a oil spot on my leather smart cover and i need a solution to clean it.. please advice guys.

2. macrumors 6502

There really isn't anything you can do. Any leather conditioner or cleaner you use will somewhat darken the leather. If you don't mind it getting a bit darker look into leather conditioners maybe darkening the entire thing will hide the oil spot.

3. macrumors 68030

exactly - many a leather cover spoiled by potato chip eating....

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

thx for the reply..i tried to use a paper towel to get the oil out..but there is still a light mark on it...no luck..and mine is the red one...sighh :(

don't place yr smartcover on yr dining table guys or make sure yr table is clean....hahahahahaaa

5. macrumors 68000

3goldens

Should have used seltzer and a clean cotton cloth and blotted it out.

You might try going to a shoe repair joint and showing them, they may recomend a leather dye to help darken the lighter area.

6. macrumors regular

Do a google search for cleaning leather couch with talcum powder or corn starch. I don't think you will take it out but you can possibly lighten it.

Good luck..

7. macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

8. macrumors newbie

Did baby wipes work?

I had the same thing happen to a friends beige leather smart cover and then the stains just disappeared after a few weeks. My blue leather cover got stained last weekend so I'm just waiting for it to disappear.

9. macrumors 6502

geoelectric

So far I'm finding blemishes and stains come and go on their own. Think maybe handling diffuses them somehow.

10. macrumors 65816

Nhwhazup

I originally purchased the cream leather smart cover when I got my new iPad. It literally was covered with smudges and fingerprints by the time I arrived home with it. And that was handling it with clean hands. I tried to clean it with leather cleaner - didn't work. Then I tried to dye it black with shoe dye and although it looked better, the fingerprint smudges still were evident. I played around with it for a couple of weeks and gave up.

11. macrumors 68000

I used baby wipes a couple weeks ago on my Navy Blue Smart Cover...worked great!