How to clean scratches off from 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chiuy, Jan 14, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

May 24, 2011
    NorCal, Bay Area
    Hi, I got this old phone that I want to reuse and there are bunch of little scratches on the back of the phone. There also some on the front of the screen.
    So, I heard that you can use toothpaste on the back of the phone?
    But what about the front? At least to minimize and polish the screen up to make it shine at least.

(Don't really care if something happened, it is an old phone)
  2. macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Not sure about the back, but putting a screen protector on the front glass usually does a good job of hiding small scratches on the screen
  3. macrumors 68020

John T

Mar 18, 2006
    The best, and most reliable method to remove scratches and subsequently polish plastic is to use liquid metal polish. Apply with a soft cloth and rub firmly until the imperfections have gone.

Before you do anything, make sure the scratches are actually scratches and not cracks. The back of the 3G and 3GS was particularly susceptible to cracking. Unfortunately here's nothing that can be done about this.
  4. macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2008
    Tampa, Florida
    If you happen to know anyone with any kind of shop, there's a good chance that they have a buffing wheel. I've used it to polish up iPhones, and it works like a charm :)
  5. macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2011
    be careful if using a high rpm buffer. Very easy to burn thru plastic at high speed (high heat).