how to clean the iBook keyboard? (white!!)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dscan99, Jan 1, 2005.

1. dscan99 macrumors regular

It's been about 3 months since I got my wonterful iBook. I didn't purchase an iSkin at the time but wish I had. The once pure white keyboard has shades of brown and grey ...:( as does the trackpad.

How does one go about cleaning it and restoring it to its original shine and splendour? :)

Will something like lenscleaner/windex do the trick? or what about high pressure keyboard spray?A lot of the keys themselves are slowly discoloring..

Many Thanks!

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

iClean works great for me. I take my keyboard off to 'gently' clean in and around it. I keep my iBook closed when not in use. I'm convinced this helps keep it clean.

3. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Believe it or not, I just took a damp napkin and scrubbed the life out of the dark spots. They aren't completely gone, but you have to know they're there and really look to actually see them. I've never had key problems, but I assume it'd work the same.

4. jesuscandle macrumors regular

I've had great success with a moist towel and a little dollop of dish soap. Not too much water, not too much soap - and it cleans it right up.

I've never had a lot of success getting rid of the dirt under the keyboard however.

5. iBOOKnewbie macrumors newbie

toothpaste does the job...very well

I have asked a few people about cleaning iBOOKs. And short of going out to buy an iClean kit, you can save a couple of bucks using ordinary toothpaste..... toothpaste with plague control if you think that helps.....but toothpaste works!! :)

6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Vaccum cleaner. ;) If you have a small shopvac, run the brush nozzle over the keyboard and it'll suck all the crumbs, hair, etc. right up.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Im gonna put a vote in for iKlean, It works wonders on my Powerbook.

8. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

What about the palm rest area? My wife's ibook has two actual handprints on the palm rest area. Nothing takes them off - soap, windex, iclean, oxyclean..nothing...

any advice?

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

iKlean always takes that off of my PB, but try warm water and a paper towel and some elbow grease.

edit: how much iClean do you use, I spray it on heavy than rub it in and it takes it right off.

10. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I just take a sponge, soak it in water, strain it over the keyboard. :p

11. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

ya if its really dirty i just dump my ibook right into the dishwasher or sometimes the washing machine , keep it on a lower speed and things should be ok . Oh and also remember to take out the battery before you do this.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

:D

But you should make sure to set interference robustness on Airport first. The computer has a hard time maintaining a connection with the internet when it's spinning around.

:D

13. wozzlewoozle macrumors regular

I've found that for cleaning keyboards I like to use a kimwipe (lint free tissue) which has been very lightly dampened with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).

14. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

The dishwasher? I just bought an ibook and I'm waiting for it arrive...can you really do this?

15. sgarringer macrumors regular

you need to have a special dishwasher, its a new model from GE.

I have one, please send your iBook to me and I will wash it for you.

PM me and I'll give you my address.

16. iBOOKnewbie macrumors newbie

IPA or detergent

antispetic swipes contain Isopropyl alcohol, the same stuff in iClean, so check your medical kit for antiseptic swipes..............

As for the washing machine, you will have to spend a few more bucks to get the right detergent.

17. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

well....... i use mr.cleans magic eraser and it works wonders... ;) i got it at wal-mart for like 2 dollars :eek:

18. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

be sure to wash your hands properly BEFORE using the iBook. i have had similar stains from normal use (yes, oils in your skin along with dead skin falling off of your hands leave this lovely color on your iBook) if you clean the iBook frequently with water and a dry towel you should have no problem. if it has built up over time without cleaning im not sure what would clean it except for more scrubbing.

19. dscan99 thread starter macrumors regular

aah... great idea.... I like this better than spraying some kind of liquid over the keys. Heading to Wallyworld now.................................................

20. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dishwasher?

An iBook is a relatively sensitive device, I'm not sure how it can stand getting wet to that extent et cetera.

21. dscan99 thread starter macrumors regular

True, dishwasher might be a bit harsh. Handwashing may be a gentler approach..

22. iBOOKnewbie macrumors newbie

after you get them nicely polished white and clean......you might wanna to invest in a keyboard cover..... they come in various colours, white, blue , green and pink!

A bit costly, but then so is a washing machine

23. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Get iKlear. Its what Applecare suggests, and it has worked very well on both my and my girlfriend's powerbooks.