How to clean your Powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by William Ninja, Oct 26, 2005.

1. William Ninja macrumors newbie

Oct 18, 2005
    Hey guys, I was wondering what would be the best way to clean smudges, etc... from the aluminum powerbooks?
  2. Sundance Kid macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

Feb 16, 2005

Step 1:
    i take glasses cleaner for the screen and a fine fiber cloth. I do the same with the rest of the case and keyboard, track pad.

Step 2:
    Spray the glasses cleaner on the tip of a q-tip, and go over all the edges of your pb (between keyboard keys, edges of display, anything and everything)

Step 3:
    Admire the beautiful and clean powerbook you now have.
  3. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Jul 22, 2002
    Toledo, OH, formerly Twin Cities, MN
    I usually just use water, or lightly soaped water and a lint-free cloth.

If you must buy something, I hear iClean(er) works well.
  4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    iClean and iKlear are two products that you can clean PBs with.

They're OK for LCD screens.. there's a special covering that can come off if you use something that isn't good for it.
  5. deanwaterman macrumors regular

Sep 30, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    iKlear is what I use on my PB, Cinema Display & iPod. It is a two part system, damp cloth for cleaning and then a polish cloth. I have not tried the iKlear on my 5G iPod yet, I am reluctant to do so without really getting it wet so I eliminate any possibilities for scratches.

Good Luck!
  6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    Oh.. they sell iKlear in normal big bottles and shammy cloth packs! I got mine for $10!
    Check the Apple store or frys for the NOT travel packs..
  7. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
  8. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Hee. I got the big pack w/ the bottle, chamois, and the travel packs... travel packs are great for that-- when you're traveling (so you don't have to tote all that kit around).
  9. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    A damp Radtech Screensavrz does the trick for me. The initial cleaning of the screen required someting a little more heavy duty, but maintaining it with the screensavrz makes my screen always clean!
  10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    What about the people who obsessively clean their PBs?

I got a thumbprint on mine through airport security, was out of iKlear travel packs. I tried rubbing it off for about 20 minutes.

I had to wait on a FOUR HOUR FLIGHT and then a 8 hour drive home to be able to clean it again!

...OK, I'm a PowerBook clean freak. :eek:
  11. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    ^^Creepy :D
  12. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2005
    I've used steel wool a few times. Sandpaper works great as well.

%$@#! OH WAIT, DON'T DO THAT! I was thinking of my grill! You said "powerbook". I use iKlear on mine and love it.:D :D
  13. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    I use Windex wipes. They do a great job at cleaning the entire machine up and making it look shiny and new!