How to clear songs off of the 40gb ipod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rperanto, Jul 27, 2004.

1. rperanto macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2004
    I had to convert several songs to AAC format more than once because the connection failed halfway through. In doing so when the IPOD autosynced with Itunes the songs were duped on my ipod. I read through the manual and no mention. Please help.
  2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    Well, you can either delete the duplicate songs one at a time, or delete them all and start from scratch. In iTunes, select your iPod, then select the song(s) to delete, and hit command+delete. If they're grayed out, iTunes is automatically managing your files/playlists, so you'll need to change that in the iPod preferences in the bottom right of the iTunes window. Switch to manual and then try it. Hope that helps.
  3. mikeyfern macrumors member

Mar 3, 2004
    Are there duplicates of the song in iTunes? Do you have your iPod set up to automatically update your entire music library to the ipod? You can only get songs off the ipod unless you manage your music library through itunes. I don't quite understand your problem
  4. rperanto thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2004
    itunes is set to auto update everytime I connect my ipod. Because of this(I guess) the ipod icon only shows up when it is autosyncing new files. If I click on the ipod icon in itunes nothing happens. When I look at my library in the ipod I see duplicate entries. My question is/was how to delete these entries from the ipod. I will try to manually manage the ipod from itunes(that sounds like the answer) but I guess there is no way to delete indivdual songs straight off of the ipod without hooking it up to a computer? I had a NOMAD and could delete songs on the go when I noticed they were duplicated. Anyways thanx for the help.
  5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    Try this... Create a new user account on your mac. Create a empty iTunes library by starting up iTunes. It will sync that up and clear your iPod. Then go back to your normal iTunes library and it will sync up.