How to COMPLETELY uninstall software from Macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djmitchcraven1, Feb 29, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, sorry If i seem very repetitive but Im new to Macs so this is all very new I hate to be a bother :/. So Im downloading CSS from the Steam store and now I have 1 more question for now lol. Im only going to be Installing few programs on my Macbook Pro, for sure I will have Ableton Love Suite 8, Steam, CSS, and thats all I know of for sure. From what I know CSS and Steam don't take up much space so Im not very concerned about them possibly slowing things down, but SHOULD things start to slow down or lag or just have slowed performance I was wondering; How do you COMPLETELY uninstall a software from a Macbook Pro? I read apps like Steam and CSS take up little to no space so Im not anticipating to have to do this but Im just covering myself so I know everything ahead of time. I was reading something about spot light searches? and uninstall apps. Thank you very much everyone its very appreciated, thanks in advance for all your help!

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

How would you do that?

4. Ves
    macrumors member

Ves

Take a look at the AppCleaner, it is like CCleaner.

5. macrumors 6502

This is what I use since I'm too lazy to manually do it. =(

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

what is the spotlight search that iv seen people talking about

7. simsaladimbamba

If the instructions in that guide Mister GGJstudios linked to are too complicated, maybe have a look at the YouTube video in my signature, and the description section.

CMD+SPACEBAR triggers Spotlight, and it is a search function.
    Mac 101: Spotlight

8. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click the link I posted and read the instructions.
    In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job. For that, use the method I posted.
    They may be referring to the manual method I posted in the 2nd post of this thread, which uses Finder, not Spotlight. You can't use Spotlight to locate all application-related files/folders.