How to completely uninstall wine??

Discussion in 'OS X' started by jasonkang93, Oct 7, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi! i was having trouble completely uninstalling wine, ive tried wit appdeleter and such but it never really deleted the part where if u command click a exe file and click on open with, it still shows wine there! how do i completely obliterate wine from my computer?? thnx!!!

2. LPZ
    macrumors 65816

How did you install wine? Is an uninstaller bundled with the installer? Maybe you'd be better off posting here?

3. macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Re download Wine, there is an uninstaller available in the virtual disk that's loaded when you open the .dmg file.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry but i dont get what you are saying... i dont c any uninstaller in the .dmg file i download from their website

5. macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Try this http://www.mediafire.com/?647cy84gam03grm it's from WineBottler, but should remove any traces of Wine on your system

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

it didnt work T<T. everythings stil there didnt even uninstall anything
    any other options???
    like i wouldnt mind going and deleting everything myself if someone told me all the registry directories and stuff...

7. LPZ
    macrumors 65816

Wine can be installed from a variety of sources, and the files can end up in a variety of places. Can you please tell us exactly what .dmg you used to install wine, and where you obtained that .dmg?

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

i downloaded this pack
    http://www.kronenberg.org/wine/
    came with winebottler too :p thnx for helping

9. LPZ
    macrumors 65816

Please read this. There's even an "automatic remover" on that page.

10. macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I tried to do exactly what you did, and after using AppCleaner to remove all the files, I noticed I still had the open with option left just as you did.

Open up terminal (just type in terminal in spotlight), and try the following commands:

rm -rf ./wine.*
    rm -rf ./wine*
    rm -rf ./.wine*
    rm -rf ./.wine.*

One of these will remove the option for wine to appear, I just wasn't paying attention when I was attempting to get rid of it :eek: so I'm not sure which one. It shouldn't hurt your Mac, mine's working just fine after.

oh, and don't rm -rf ./* by mistake, because that WILL hurt your Mac.

11. LPZ
    macrumors 65816

With due respect, I think the OP would be better off using the uninstall script provided by the developer. :) See Post #9.

(Unless you installed wine from the same source the Op did, his files may not be in the same places yours were.)

12. macrumors 68000

Hastings101

The uninstall script from the developer is actually what I gave him earlier :p, so I assumed it didn't work.

13. LPZ
    macrumors 65816

Oh! Maybe he didn't run it correctly.