How to compress photo

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by suparobg, Mar 6, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

anyone know how to compress the photo file. It is at 2.3 mb and i need to upload it on a website but it is too large of a file
    iPhoto 11 on my late 2012 iMac 21.5

2. simsaladimbamba

What format (probably JPEG?) is it in, what resolution is it and how did you determine its size?
    Have you tried exporting it as JPEG from iPhoto?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to make the file size smaller its 2 mb I need it compressed down to 2 or 300kb
    Export it to where?
    Yes its jpeg

4. simsaladimbamba

Maybe this can help, it is in 720p:

5. macrumors 68020

There are two ways of making the file smaller: make the picture smaller, or throw away some of the data.
    Making the picture smaller in size (or lowering the resolution) is the usual way, and you will get proportional results.

Saving as a JPEG uses compression that throws away some data (merely assuming than an area has a given pattern or colour). The more aggressive the JPEG compression, the smaller the picture.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. What photo app is better than the iphoto '11 ? I don't want to buy photoshop and I am not a professional photographer. Just a program that edits and crops etc and compresses or resizes in the program itself

7. simsaladimbamba

iPhoto will do that just fine, unless the method I have shown you in the video does not suffice your needs?

8. macrumors 603

blueroom

Try Xee

9. macrumors 6502a

Built in "Preview" does a fine job.

Tools > Adjust size

10. macrumors 603

Between iPhoto and Preview you have all the tools you need to do the job, and to do it easily. It is better to learn these tools than to and get more tools. You will need to learn how to use any new tool in any case, so save the time and money use iPhoto or Preview. imho, at least.

Take the time to read the Help files for Preview and iPhoto. And if you are still confused, post back here with some specific questions. We can be very helpful... really. But you must also do some of the work yourself.

11. macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Seems to me.....

a good fit to GraphicConverter. Nice and small program that can do very powerful JPEG compression. And a lot more, with less price than PS. But I had obtained good results with GIMP....just my 2 cents....

:):apple:

12. macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

+1 this advice from snberk103

13. macrumors G4

Use "preview" it is alrady on your Mac. Simply save copy and choose a much smaller size. YOu can also educe the "quality" to something befor the mid point.

----------

Both gimps and GraphicConverter are over kill. Preview will do the job just as well

14. macrumors 68000

mofunk

x2

15. Ish
    macrumors 68000

Ish

+3 I was going to suggest this if no-one else had.

16. macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Adjusting file sizes down to satisfy the Net is a real downer to me. I mean, I get a photo to look nice at 20mb on an HD screen and then I have to knock it down to under 800 px wide to post up from Flickr or under 1.44mb for the MR servers. What a waste. I suppose I should be happy that the mods don't cut pixs in POTD down to thumbnails anymore.

Sorry for the rant (even though it's true), my Meds have been messing with my mood.

Dale