How to connect iPhone to MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sal Collaziano, Dec 7, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

I'd like to send a few files to my iPhone via bluetooth - but when I try to connect, I'm told there are no services on the phone that utilize bluetooth. What am I doing wrong? It's turned on, both devices (notebook and iPhone) are discoverable... They connect (I enter the passcode, etc) - I just can't do anything else..

Thanks in advance...

2. macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Short answer: you can't.

No file transfer via Bluetooth, only syncing with iTunes. Bluetooth is only used for hands-free devices.

3. macrumors regular

Ah. That explains it. I was wondering the same thing.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! That explains it. :p

5. macrumors newbie

Work around?

Is there a way to get around this? There are so many ways it would be useful!

6. macrumors newbie

I'm not finding any luck around this. I've researched in depth...I could be looking in the wrong places though. It makes no sense. I was able to transfer files via bluetooth on my LG Dare. Now that I have an IPhone I can not. A little frustrating.

7. macrumors P6

-aggie-

The answer is still the same for a non-jailbroke phone. For a JB phone, IDK.

8. macrumors 65816

My Jailbroken iPhone and iPod Touch connect to my MacBook for about one second before they disconnect. I think its something to do with the Jailbreak, or something I installed. I can connect to my MacBook via Bluetooth, if I go into Settings > General > Network > Internet Tethering, and turning it on, while its not plugged into my MacBook. Then, on my MacBook, I need to go to the Bluetooth icon on the menubar, and hover over my iPhone, and select Connect to Network. Then I am connected without disconnections. This is really, really strange, and I wish someone knew the answer to this problem.

9. macrumors P6

-aggie-

I can do what you're describing on a non-jailbroken phone. Really. It's called tethering via bluetooth, instead of USB.

The OP wants to transfer files to his phone via bluetooth. That's not tethering.

10. macrumors 65816

No, I'm just saying Bluetooth in general. Its not working for me, on either of my devices.

11. macrumors member

I have an Iphone 3G (AT&T)(3.1.3) and just received my new (first) Mac Book Pro. Is there a way to connect the laptop and Iphone via bluetooth? I have searched alot of threads but am not up on all of the terminology. I see in this thread that it states you cant transfer files via bluetooth but one member states they have their non jailbroke phone tethered to their mac book. Is there a break down on how to do this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

12. macrumors P6

-aggie-

You said two things there, but I'll assume you want tethering. See this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=795141

You need to downgrade to 3.0 or 3.0.1 (forget the 2.2.1 crap from TheSpaz). Then you just use the AT&T 6.0 Stealth hack and you're done.

You'll need to use a PC or you can use TheSpaz's method to downgrade on a Mac.

Edit: I hadn't read TheSpaz's post in awhile. Essentially he requires a PC anyway, so just do what I said.

13. macrumors member

Ok so the link you provided goes to a youtube video that says that it doesnt work anymore and to goto another link on youtube and downgrade to 3.1.2. Does the tethering for AT&T work with that firmware revision?

14. macrumors P6

-aggie-

I can't look at the video here at work. It's been awhile since I downgraded. However, it's unclear why it wouldn't work any more. Can you or someone else explain what's up?

Anyway, if it's saying you can only downgrade to 3.1.2, then you can't tether. You have to get to 3.0 or 3.0.1. Also, if it is saying that, I'm glad I never went to 3.1.3. FYI, I downgraded from 3.1.2. Unless the new firmware from 3.1.3 somehow makes it impossible, which was not my understanding from talking to others about it on MR.

15. macrumors member

The video now has a text screen in it that says it doesnt work anymore. It doesnt give anymore info than that so I am not sure the reasoning. Anyone that can help it would be appreciated.

If it is possible to go back to 3.1.2 can you then follow the link you posted to go back to 3.0 from 3.1.2?

16. macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don't see why not, but I'd have to see what those messages are in the video.

17. macrumors member

Thank you for your time and help. I will check back to see what you think of the comments in the video.

18. macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

There is an app called Phoneview. I am using if for the moments I want to put files and stuff on the iPhone.

Go to: www.ecamm.com

You have to pay for it but what else is new?

19. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Everyone should really just be using dropbox.com.

You get a free account online and then download the free application from the iTunes store.

On your computer you can use the web broswer to upload files OR you can download their software (Mac or Windows or Linux) that creates a folder on your hard drive that syncs with the service.

So you drag a file onto your dropbox folder on your computer and, bam, 1 minute later it's in the Dropbox app on your iPhone.

(If you have no internet on your computer, get something like 'Files' on your iPhone. You can start a wifi network on your laptop and use Files to connect to the computer over that network. Not NEARLY as easy as Dropbox but it's a good backup if you don't have internet at home or something.)

20. macrumors P6

-aggie-

Okay, I went to the video and there weren't any comments. Weird. I also looked at the 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 video and it looks like that didn't require quickpwn like the 3.1.1 to 3.0 video did (now it is called 3.1.3 to 3.0....the one you said had comments).

What does this mean? IDK. Anyway, do what the video said to do in the one that you said had comments. You'll need to find the .ipsw for 3.0 or 3.0.1 (found here: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ ). If you get the 1015 error, then use quickpwn like the video said. Once you get it to 3.0.1 do what was said to get the Stealth hack and you'll have tethering.

If for some reason it doesn't go to 3.0 directly, then downgrade to 3.1.2 first and then go from 3.1.2 to 3.0.1.

I assume you're on 3.1.3? Let me know how it goes. If things get all screwed up for you, remember, YMMV.

21. macrumors regular

iPhoneVic

22. macrumors P6

-aggie-

Still waiting for how it went.

23. macrumors newbie

wanted to bump the thread with the same question. I used drop box but that is only helpful if you have an internet connection.

if i don't have an internet connection, i want to be able to wireless connect my iphone/touch to my macbook pro and transfer files between the 2. suggestions?

24. macrumors newbie

With a JB iPhone use iBlueNova or iBluetooth, both apps are on Cydia, the first one is the "pro" version of the 2nd one, which means that you have to pay for it.

But it works pretty good and let you exchange files with other phones, laptops and pretty much whatever device that uses bt for file sharing.

25. macrumors newbie

internet tethering

I do not see <internet tethering> in my settings, general, network,,, but mine is not jailbroke??