How to connect my monitor and Apple TV simultaneously?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by graes, Feb 7, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I just bought Apple TV and I have Mac mini connected through minidisplayport. I need to connect additional monitor and Apple TV to my Mac mini simultaneously, so need to connect 3 devices to Mac mini. I heard that it is possible by special device - splitter, but do not know what model exactly. Please help me how to do?

2. macrumors 68040

You can't hook an Appletv into a Mac mini.... Are you trying to hook both the mini and the Appletv to a particular monitor?!? I guess I'm not sure what you are trying to do.

3. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

also not sure you question, the ATV does not "hook up" to any computer it can be used to mirror certain computers, Airplay Itunes and certain iOS apps, and be used as a homesharing device if you have homesharing enabled and running in iTunes on a computer but there is not phyical connection

4. graes, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013

thread starter macrumors newbie

So you mean that there is no way how to display my videos on the both devices (Apple TV and monitor, first) simultaneously?

----------

Now I have Mac Mini with a connected monitor. I just want to connect my Mac to send the same picture to the Apple TV and Monitors.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

6. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

If it's a mid-2011 or later Mac Mini, I think the feature you're looking for is "AirPlay Mirroring":

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5404

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the functions is the same, but this solution will work for 1 monitor only, I need to get at least 3 devices (4 would be ideal).
    And I affraid that this Mac is older...

8. macrumors 65816

marzer

What year is your mini? Maybe it will operate both monitors through a dual display setup.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't remember clearly when I've bought it, but suppose it was in 2010.

10. macrumors 65816

marzer

If its the all-aluminum case, then it has mini-display and HDMI ports. You can drive to monitors right from the mac mini.

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it is not all-aluminium :(
    But I still do not understand how to connect.

12. macrumors 65816

marzer

If you bought it new, then it probably has the mini DVI and minidisplay ports. Either way your machine can have two monitors connected to it.