How to connect new 20" Screen to PC Laptop?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by BrooksWPhoto, May 18, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

May 18, 2005

This is my first post here, so forgive me if I make a mistake...

I am trying to connect my new 20" Apple Screen to a PC Laptop (I know, I know, I did not want to either, but I need to do it for my business), but am running into problems...

I have tried to connect it using a DVI(Female) to VGA(Male) adapter, but the screen does not come up when connected...

I have tested the screen on my G5, and tested the laptop VGA plug on another PC monitor, and they both work fine...

Is this even possible to do, or am I just living a pipe dream?

Any advice would be extremely helpful...

Thanks in Advance!

2. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    If you paid about $20 for the adapter it won't work, you need a signal convertor that translates a analog signal into a digital one, something like...

Or one that's a slightly less expensive box without the ADC power supply for VGA-to-DVI -- and you need to make sure it will work at the LCDs resolutions.

So it'll likely be a $100 or more electronic box.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    Can't be done without this type of device at $799, or maybe one of these at $250
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

May 18, 2005
    Thanks for the info...I was afraid of that....

One more question, if you don't mind...

Is there any way to get a DVI card for the laptop to plug directly into it?

Thanks again!

5. macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    I have a VGA Tibook and looked into this awhile back. The only option I could find for a powerbook was the VTBook 32mb card that uses the pc card slot or the external box.

If you have a windows laptop, there might be a way, but would think it would be difficult for no other reason then the vga and dvi ports use different size openings in the laptop case.