How to connect to home network from remote Internet connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by netdog, Mar 19, 2007.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Hi,

I have a non-fixed IP with BT for my home network and am curious if I can set things up to access my home machines and volumes when I am abroad.

A step-by-step guide to this process would, no doubt, be useful to a number of MR members. If there is a kind soul who could post an idiot-proof set of instructions that would be great, and would perhaps be put up as a user guide here at MR.

Thanks!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Ok, well, first thing - How is your internal setup? Do you have a router, or is your computer connected straight to your modem?

What you need to look at firstly is dyndns.org. This will allow you to create a domain name that will map to your (dynamic) IP address. You can then use this domain name from anywhere to connect to your home. Furthermore, if you have a router you will need to set up port forwarding to forward all your connection attempts to the appropriate computer inside your network.

The details will depend on your exact setup. Post more details and we can give more specific instructions.

One further question, what do you want to be able to do, access your HD, remote desktop, something else?

3. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

Setup:

BT Broadband
    X-Modem into an Apple Extreme N Router
    Four drives on AirDrive
    Two Network Printers
    Two Intel Macs

Would be curious about how to access volumes on the network, printers and even remote desktop.

Thanks for your help!

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Ok, so you should register at dyndns.org to get a name that you can map your dynamic external IP address to. Then, when you are in the world, typing that name will get you to the door of your network (i.e. your router).

You then need to configure your router to forward each of those external requests to their desired location. This is done using port forwarding. Each different request (hard drive access, printing, remote desktop) using different ports, and these requests need to be forwarded to their desired destination. This is done using the routers setup utility.

This is the two big steps you need to do, what you need to find is what ports you need to forward. Google and other people here can probably help more with that.

5. sirkany macrumors newbie

Connect to usb ethernet hub connected to home wifi

Hi,

I have an external usb hard drive connected to my Belkin F5L009 network usb. This hub is connected to my home wireless 2WIRE router (3800HGV-B Gateway). I have been trying to find out ways to ultimately connect to my external hard drive remotely over the internet.

Pls help.

6. LurchNC macrumors regular