How to Connect Xbox 360 to a Mac!

Discussion in 'Games' started by clayj, Feb 9, 2006.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

2. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Yeh. I downloaded it about 5 hours back. Yet I don't know how to make it connect to my Xbox 360.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Sweet! I hope they get video support working too, I don't really want to install XP MCE on the work machine I have to keep here just to stream movies to my 360 when I get it _ COME ON AUSSIE RELEASE _!

5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Looks like it streams only MP3s and JPEGs. Too bad for those of us with all AAC and RAW libraries.

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Great find ClayJ, I just downloaded it and now I am going to turn on the XBox 360 and see what happens. I'm sure they are working on getting video added, but there is not file that catalogs where they all are so it could be difficult.

7. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Ok, just tried connecting, it's not working for me? Do I need to have sharing on in iTunes and iPhoto? In the Connect360 program is says that "Sharing is active, awaiting XBox 360", and it detects my XBox 360. Guess I will keep playing around and get back if I figure anything out.

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Never-mind, just got it working, and it works perfect! Really is a great product and does exactly what is says. I'm sure their next addition will be to play AAC format songs from iTunes, not protected of course. Without this, almost half of my library is not stream-able. This is a minor update and will probably come in the next few weeks.

9. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

For music lovers who either own to much to transfer or are just lazy and gamers who onw iTunes, this is a really tight program. As soon as I own a 360 (assuming the PS3 isn't in sight) I intend to install it.

Any word on if they intend to get videos to start streaming. I hadn't noticed mention of work on that, but I might have overlooked it.

10. bigbadTKO macrumors member

am i correct in assuming that the 100-photo 100-song limits are there since I didnt register it?

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Cool. I cant get it to work :( No help file with the program either. Can you give me pointers. My xbox is connected to Airport Express via 360 wireless USB and my iMac connected to Airport Express via Airport..

Both see the network but not each other :confused: :confused:

12. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

First and foremost, your music sharing and photo sharing has to be enabled. If that is not the issue, then you may need to log into you base station and change a setting to allow users on the wireless network to see and interact with other users on the wireless network. Also, check your firewall settings. Good luck.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thanks...

GOT IT WORKING :) It was Firewall settings...

Just sent off my registration as well.

What a great app. I love my apples :D :D :D :D :D :D And Universal Binary too...

Also the reg does get rid of the limitations, all my 645 albums are showing up....

14. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

clayj, you're a frickin' star for finding this! Can't wait to get home and try it out. If they do manage to sort out the AAC aspect of playback, I'll no longer need the Mac Mini in my bedroom, and I'll move it into the lounge!

15. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

you can get an aac codec for the 360, so if you manage to trigger that it should work with aac files.

16. Nezza macrumors member

Nezza

Nice find.

If they can get AAC and video working I will be delighted. I've been considering sticking Media Centre on my PC just for streaming, but if this can fulfill my needs I may just get a Mac Mini and have that handle all my media streaming.

Shows that it's a bit of a con by MS that you have to have Media Center for streaming when they can obviously do the same job with any PC/Mac.

17. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Now that I have registered, the program always crashes on me and i can't listen to any music. Photos still work fine, and all the artist and albums appear, but no songs are in either. I'll try repairing permission and see if that helps.

18. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I just restarted, but haven't opened up either iTunes or iPhoto and the program is working fine. I don't know if it was the restart that worked or that the programs were running before which caused the problem. Still a cool program in its first installment.

19. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Just a note, the AAC download from the Marketplace will only allow you to play unprotected (no DRM) AAC files. Apple does not let 3rd parties play DRM files (so blame Apple, not Microsoft).

Great find!

20. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Well its now installed, iPhoto and iTunes sharing is on, and the firewall is off. Connect360 is seeing my xbox, but I can't access anything on the 360. I'm presuming you have to connect by going into "computer" in the Media blade?

What else could I be doing wrong?

21. Nezza macrumors member

Nezza

When you download there is a readme file in the folder, go into 'sharing' in 'preferences' and open the the the two ports as advised in that by choosing the advanced option in 'firewall'.

Restart both the application and the Xbox 360. You can then access the media through the normal music and photos options in the Xbox Media Blade.

You will need to have sharing enable in both iTunes and iPhoto.

Good luck :)

22. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I actually don't have sharing on in either iTunes or iPhoto and it still works.

If you're on your 360, go to the media section, then either select music or photos, then computer. It should come up with your music and photos. Don't go through Media Center, that won't work.

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

heh i don't buy music.

24. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I read the read me immediately after downloading, but as I have the firewall off at the mo, I concluded that I shouldn't have to do any port changes. I even went to change the ports anyway, but they are greyed out for some reason for both iTunes and iPhoto.

I've tried connecting from the 360 that exact way wwooden, but after searching for a PC, it never can find the Mac....

Really puzzled. It doesn't seem to be that tricky in theory! Its frustrating to have the 360 recognised by the Mac, but nothing coming from it....

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

In system preferences, go to sharing. In Firewall tab, scroll down to Network Time and untick it.. That worked for me....