How to control iTunes or computer from a distance

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by PHARAOHk, Jun 9, 2004.

1. PHARAOHk macrumors regular

With my computer upstairs and my stereo down stairs how could I change songs and stuff downstairs with an express equipped stereo. Without a remote or something I'd have to run upstairs to change songs or pause songs?

I was pretty amped about the express but a lack of any control makes it useless. If i need to be arms length away from my computer I would just buy a long audio cable for 1/20th the price.

I have a feeling new ipod/remote add ons or a whole new WIFI ipod will come on the WWDC.

Anyone else think it's weird that you can't control itunes through express?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sony Ericsson Bluetooth Phone, Bluetooth enabled Mac and Salling Clicker.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you think the range is good enough for him to do it downstairs to upstairs? I get close to the supposed 10 meters on mine (Nokia 3650), but only if there are no major obstacles in the way.... :( I doubt it would work through the floor.

Ummm...don't know of any longer range solutions though. Unless there's some kinda wifi remote control? That's really what you'd need.

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

How about ATI's remote. I don't own it and haven't tried it but I am considering it. It is Mac compatable (dongle connects to USB 1.1) and according to the ATI site has a 50ft. range. It is also RF so it will go through walls. They go pretty cheap on ebay too. I'm pretty sure you could map the buttons to do certain things in itunes, but, if you were looking for a wifi remote to go with airport express I'm not too sure.

If anyone owns an ATI remote please post.

http://ati.com/products/remotewonder/index.html

5. PHARAOHk thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I actually D/L the trial version for my phone and it's really cool but the range is not good enough. The express would be so perfect if they offered the same kind of browsing feature as the Salling clicker with much more range. I could have speakers everywhere and only need one computer.........

The ATI remote seems a lot closer. I think an add on to the ipod like iTrip would be perfect cuz you could see the artists etc.

6. PHARAOHk thread starter macrumors regular

7. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I own this remote. And I'm interested in getting rid of it. It works perfect, but I just thought I'd use it more than I do.

8. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i'm sure some company (maybe even apple itself) will make a remote for the express...

i think this is just the beginning of express... eventually you will be streaming the music from the ipod in your pocket to the speakers... doesn't that seem like what apple would do?

reality

9. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Ive just changed from a t68i to a nokia 6600 & the range is much better. the t68 would only workwell in the same room. the n6600 works from most of the house, upstairs & downstairs.

10. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

It depends from case to case: mine work fine from a floor down (Nokia 6600, also Palm Tungsten).

There are several WiFi enabled PDAs, so remote control software could be written for them. It'd be great if apple exposed a secure 'Remote Control' service - to enable 3rd party development system-wide remote control devices and software.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've noticed some apps are pickier than others too. I get a good 10 m out of VETA / Romeo (to use to control PPT or something like that) but not iSync -- the phone has to be right next to the computer. Weirdness.

That ATI RF remote control looks vewwy interesting though.