how to convert MPEG1 to MPEG4?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by c1004, Feb 14, 2005.

1. c1004 macrumors newbie

Does anybody know how to convert MPEG1 to MPEG4?

I tried the exporting function of QT Pro, but then the audio is lost. I've heard that Discreet Cleaner can be used for this, but if so, how exactly?

If somebody could help me with this, I would be the happiest person in the world! :)

2. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

I used QT Pro for this and never had issues. Make sure to check both audio and video settings before running export.

3. c1004 thread starter macrumors newbie

still a problem with QT Pro

Thank you for the quick reply!

I just tried QT Pro again, and I cannot check the audio option. I get the message that the converted file will not have an audio track because it is not available in the original.
    I tried opening an MPEG1 file in QT Pro as a new movie, then exporting it to MPEG4. I also tried importing MPEG1 to QT as a .mov file, and then exporting it to MPEG4. Both ways I can't check the audio option because it is not available.

What am I doing wrong?

4. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

Are you sure that source MPEG1 file has audio stream? Can you hear anything when playing it with QT?

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

MPEG-1 files use a "Muxed" track in which the audio is multiplexed with the video. That's why you can't see options for a separate audio track. It's a known issue. To confirm this, open your MPEG-1, select "Get Movie Properties" from the Quicktime menu, and when the window appears, click on the "Movie" pull-down menu.

Try this. I just experimented with it myself now for the first time, and I converted an MPEG-1 into a Quicktime .mov with MPEG-4 compression that has separate video and audio tracks. To convert that into an .mp4 is no big trick, though you may lose some quality because of the decompression/recompression process.

Best of all, it's freeware. :)