How to copy a DVD?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by 2A Batterie, Mar 3, 2005.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I'm working on making a media kit for a band I play with and am trying to make a music video using a montage of shots. My bandmate has some old footage from one of our gigs on DVD. His camera doesn't work anymore and he is a PC user so I can't transfer any of the data to my HD. Is their a way I can take the DVD and dump it into iMovie?

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

You may want to try MacTheRipper. I have never done this personally but it sounds like it could do what you want.

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

MacTheRipper will only extract a Video_TS folder, which you can't edit in iMovie, you'll need something like DVDxDV or DVD2oneX, both of which will extract video to MPEG or QT files, but will only work with non-encrypted DVD's.

You can then throw the files at iMovie and edit.

4. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I downloaded DVD2oneX and I didn't see the option to create an MPEG or GT movie. It just copied it to a video TS. After reading the instructions, it appears that the program is meant to transfer the material to a DVDR. Am I missing something? Do I need a different program?

5. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Yup... try the other one that WinterMute recommended, DVDxDV. I bought it and it's well worth it.

www.dvdxdv.com

There's a free trial version up. It watermarks the video but you get a good idea of how nicely it works.

6. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Try MPEG Streamclip to convert from the format that Mac the Ripper makes to DV, which is supported by iMovie. You might also need the MPEG-2 Pluggin for MPEG Streamclip but I'm not sure. I have the pluggin but I'm not even sure if I use it to convert from Video_ts to DV

7. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

The DVDxDV works great! The only problem is that I am extremely poor. Are there any other alternatives that are free or less expensive than $80?

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

There are several ways to do what you're wanting to do. Here's one freeware way:
    MTR-(MacktheRipper) to get VOB (Video_TS) files
    MPEGStreamClip will endode to MPEG2 video and demux the audio to .aiff
    Now, IF you have DVDSP (Studio Pro) or iDVD, you can burn these files to DVD.

Also DVD2OneX will allow you to make a disk image .dmg of the VIDEO_TS folder and then can burn to DVD. Hope this helps.
    X

9. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

The main purpose of MacTheRipper is to remove CSS encryption. Is the DVD encrypted? Unless it's some sort of retail DVD, it shouldn't be.

HandBrake and ffmpegx I believe would be able to convert the video to a format usable by iMovie.

http://homepage.mac.com/major4/
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12987

Programs like DVD2One are not for what you are doing. Those programs are typically for downsizing a dual-layer DVD to fit on a single layer DVD.

10. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

The DVD is not encrypted at all. My goal is not to make a physical copy of the DVD. My goal is to take footage from the DVD and use it in iMovie. Are any of the suggested programs capbal of doing this for free? I'm sorry if I'm asking the same question over and over, but I am really confused. Feel free to dumb it down for me. ;)

11. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I get the impression that mpeg streamclip requires you to have the QuickTime MPEG2 playback component, which itself costs something like $20 or $30. DVDxDV "Pro" costs $80, but the simple version costs $25. It's worth the money.

12. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Try HandBrake or ffmpegX. Either should be able to start directly with your DVD, and convert to a format suitable for use in iMovie.

Does anyone know if it should be a specific format for iMovie? (so iMovie doesn't have to do an extra conversion or anything like that?)

If not, you can just encode to say MPEG4, and iMovie will accept your video.

13. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Thanks for all the help so far. This is proving to be a tough nut to crack. I downloaded Hnadbrake and upon reading FAQ came across this:

2.2 I want to to convert a movie so I can edit it in iMovie. Is HandBrake the right application to do this?

No. MPEG-4 isn't a good format for editing, you'd better find a way to extract it as MJPEG or something, or edit the MPEG-2 directly.

14. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I think stating what your final goal is helps clarify a myriad of good suggestions but perhaps not what you're after. Again, you'll need to demux whatever files in order to get the audio in to iMovie. MPEGStreamClip will do this as freeware. ffMPEG is shareware. Another good suggestion, early on, was to attach your DVD player to a camera (provided you have one) and record as DV to iMovie.
    X