How to copy an unencrypted DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tigers, Aug 18, 2004.

1. tigers macrumors newbie

Just got a new G5 and I'm loving it, however, I'm having a bit of a problem trying to figure out how to copy an unencrypted DVD-Video.

I thought I could just copy the Video_TS folders and Audio_TS folders to my hard drive, then burn them back to a new DVD-R, but once I do this, my DVD Player (the one attached to my TV) won't recognize the disc.

I know my DVD player will play recordable DVD's so I don't think that's the problem. I think the problem is the way I've burned the disk. I just used the built in burn tools in Finder to do the burning.

Is this an area where I'm going to need to purchase Toast if I want to do this? Or is there something I've just done wrong? I know in Windows you have to "close" the CD (not sure of the exact term there) in Nero, but I couldn't find an equivalent command in Finder.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Toast will definitely work. I don't think you can cobble together free tools for doing it - you can burn it, but, as you found, it won't play.

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

To extract the DVD use something like Mac the Ripper or DVD Backup.

To burn the DVD I use Toast but I think you should still be able to burn discs that can be read in commercial DVD players through the Finder, iMovie and iDVD suggests that this shouldn't a problem.

4. eaalthof macrumors newbie

Directions for copying DVD

If it is unencrypted copy the Video_TS folder to your hard drive, use DVD Imager (Freeware on Versiontracker) to make a DVD image of the Video_TS folder. Next use Disk Utility to Burn the image to a DVD.

This has always worked for me.
    In theory, you should be able to use Disk Utility to make a Master disk image and then burn it. But I have had much less success with this method.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

iDVD burns them - meaning ones you've composed yourself, not copies of images on your drive, but Disk Utility won't - it'll burn a disk, but it won't be playable. I have numerous coasters as a result of trying. They look the same on the Mac, but not, apparently, to the DVD players.

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I have had no problem using Disk Utility to do this. Apple, IIRC, has instructions in the knowledgebase.

One caveat, though: I have done this only with DVDs I originally mastered using iDVD (iMovie, etc., stuff). I have no idea if it works with a 3d party DVD.