How to copy DVD (non-copyright)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by newmacuser13, Nov 2, 2006.

1. newmacuser13 macrumors member

I'm a new apple user.
    I have a DVD home movie (playable in home DVD player) created with my former windows xp machine.
    I would like to make an exact copy of the DVD. In windows I had to use a separate program to make the copy.
    How do I do it in OS-x on my MacBook?

2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    If the DVD is non encypted, then I think you can do this in disc Utility

Insert the DVD, start up disc utility,

now, I'm kinda foggy on what to do ....lol...:eek:

I usually just do this with toast.

someone will chime in here and tell you better than me....

3. ddekker macrumors regular

on the PC i used dvdshrink or shrink to 5.... seems like handbrake might get ya there on the mac...

DD

4. jonharris200 macrumors 6502

jonharris200

I did this recently. After a lot of searching around for free software, I downloaded the month-long free trial from http://www.dvd2one.com/.

I didn't find all the instructions straightforward, but managed to work it out eventually and it made perfect copies of my non-copyrighted DVD.

5. jonharris200 macrumors 6502

jonharris200

Two tips to follow up my earlier post:

1. When you make a copy of your original on your hard drive, the main folder you create with the essential DVD files is called 'VIDEO_TS'
    2. Instead of selecting a 'burn' function, you click the green 'start processing' button and then click 'OK' with the default settings that appear.

6. maskd macrumors newbie

I don't have a mac (yet, I'm hoping to get a MacBook soon enough), but after looking at their websites, I believe that either of these programs will accomplish what you need:

Burn - http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/
    Disco - http://discoapp.com/

I'm awaiting the day I get my mac :)

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Handbrake is a great application, but it's not the right one for what the OP wants to do.

The easiest way to do it is with Toast. Any version of Toast after version 5 will make a copy of a DVD, as long as it's not encrypted, which yours shouldn't be.

The next way to do it is to use MacTheRipper to rip the VIDEO_TS folder to the hard drive. Then use DVD Imager to create a burnable disk image. Finally, use Disk Utility to burn the disk image to a DVD.

Although I've never tried it, I think you may be able to just drag the VIDEO_TS folder off of the DVD onto the desktop since it's not encrypted. Then use DVD Imager and Disk Utility as outlined above.

8. mickhyperion macrumors regular

mickhyperion

The only application you need comes with the OS.

Go to your Applications folder to the Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. If the DVD you want to copy is in the drive it will appear in the column on the left. Select it, then click the New Image icon. Enter your Save info and from the Image Format dropdown choose DVD/CD Master. It will create a mountable disk image file that you can use to burn copies of your DVD.

You use the same application to burn. Just select the newly created disk image from the column on the left and press the Burn icon.