How to copy DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 17MBPC2D, Jan 17, 2007.

1. 17MBPC2D macrumors regular

Nov 12, 2006
    Hi all,

I recently purchased a 17" Macbook Pro C2D and was wondering how and what I need to copy a DVD?

My kids damage DVD often...

I prefer not to schrink it as I don't mind coping it onto a Dual Layer DVD if necessary. If this is not possible...what are my choices?

I was told that I need some sort of decoder (Mactheripper?) Is this the best one out there?

Any what DVD burner software do I need to purchase?

Please help...never done this before.
  2. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Jul 2, 2005
    Mac The Ripper is the best and Toast will probably help you the most when it comes to burning the ripped DVD.

And if you want, what I would do is use HandBrake and rip the DVD's to a single mp4 clip then import it to iTunes. Then when Apple TV comes out use that to stream the movies from your computer to your TV. And there you go :) No more DVD's.

You can set the quality difference in HandBrake depending on the quality you want and it works very well.

Happy Backing Up.
  3. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2004
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Prefect Burning

I use "Mac the Ripper" & "Popcorn 2"
    Mac the Ripper is getting harder to get without pay a donation for the intel builds of it.
    Popcorn does everything you need to burn it to DVD without having to have Toast and it's cheaper (I think)
  4. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    do some search, u will find more detailed guides.
  5. sleepyk macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2007
    mac the ripper

does anyone knwo where i can find Mac the Ripper i have downloaded it a couple times but it keeps quiting i just wont work for some reason. :( :confused:
  6. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    If you are doing straight backups of DVD to DVD not transcoding to another format I'd recommend Fast DVD Copy. It's an expensive app but in this case you get what you pay for. It can rip, compress, and burn from a single app. If you are using DL media you can even skip the compress bit and end up with an exact copy.
  7. gollum macrumors regular

Jan 29, 2007
  8. sleepyk macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2007
    keeps quiting.

mac the ripper just will not work on my powerbook it keeps quiting. I need to copy some DVD's anyone have any suggestions. I want an exact copy because i use the DVD for training purposes and i will like to take a copy and not the original.
  9. epochblue macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    MacTheRipper is your best (and potentially only) option.

The project's homepage is , and I believe that unless you can find an Intel build on a torrent tracker somewhere, you'll have to donate to the project to get one of the Intel-ready builds.

The free version you find on sites like VT and MU are the 2.6.6 PPC builds and probably not what you want to try to run with your fancy new MBP.