Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RDL

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Harlem World USA
I tried searching this question first and tried the few things recommended but still no luck. Hoping someone else might be able to solve the problem.

I have an iPhone 2g, iTunes 7.7, and an iBook G4.

I have never used my Address Book before on my Mac but now that I have an iPhone I thought it would be great to be able to copy my contacts off the iPhone to my Address Book for backup but unfortunately have not been able to.

I connect my iPhone then in iTunes go to the Info Tab and check Sync Address Book Contacts and check (dot) All Contacts and hit Sync and NOTHING. It almost automatically unchecks the box and says Syncing then says Sync complete and my Address Book is still empty.

I tried putting one contact in my Address Book and that didn't work, tried something else (resetting something in Sync History) but still impossible to get my contacts off the iPhone into my Address Book, and when I put one contact in my Address Book it didn't Sync to my iPhone so its not transferring to or from.

ANY suggestions would be appreciated.

OR if anyone could tell me where all my contact info is stored in the iPhone then I could SSH and just copy that file on my desktop and then drop it into my Address Book. Is that possible? I prefer to just hit the Sync button but thats been impossible so far so...

THANKS again for any info.

RDL

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Harlem World USA
I just tried that and when I open Address Book I dont get any prompts. I went under the Preferences in Address Book and still can not find an option to sync...Under General Settings there is a Sharing option but its only to share my Address Book with another person not a device.

I JUST thought about when I plug my iPhone into iTunes I get this message "Unable to load dataclass information from Sync Services. Reconnect or try again later" I had it pop up since day one and I'm so use to clicking ok that I don't even think about it. I am still able to sync ringtones, pics, apps, etc BUT could this be why Address Book will not sync?

RDL

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Harlem World USA
Nope no Mobile Me account.

I followed these directions -
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1747?viewlocale=en_US

to deal with the "Unable to load dataclass information from Sync Services. Reconnect or try again later" notice iTunes was giving me when I plugged in my iPhone thinking that might magically make the Address Book Sync work for me but now I'm having a hard time finding a working download for iTunes 7.7.

Don't want to download iTunes 8 cause I'm not interested in the Genuis Bar and have very little room on my harddrive and heard iTunes 8 is bloated.

Can not believe all the old links for 7.7 have disappeared, atleast for Mac, found one for Windows.

RDL

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Harlem World USA
Thanx!

I just found a working link for iTunes 7.7.1. about to install it and see if it will solve the syncing issue.

UGH!! same thing. Still not able to Sync from iTunes, still get no message to merge when opening Address Book, and STILL get that message when I open iTunes saying "unable to load..."

Oh well. Only option now is to find the files and use Fugu and transfer to my desktop and then try to import them into Address Book. Hopefully that will work. Not as simple as Sync but if it works perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.